Palestinian FM: We Have No Other Choice
Palestinian Foreign Minister Riad Malki today warned that if the Israeli government goes through with plans to build a new settlement inside the E-1 territory of the occupied West Bank, they intended to take the matter to the International Criminal Court (ICC).
“We have no other choice. It depends on the Israeli decision,” insisted Malki. The E-1 effective links southern and northern Palestinian cities in the West Bank, and the settlement, along with the planned wall move, would leave only one roundabout “Arab only” road, with an Israeli military checkpoint, keeping a potential Palestinian state “contiguous.”
Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu vowed to build in E-1 in the lead-up to yesterday’s election, but with the vote not going his way and the next coalition liable to include moderates, it is unclear if the hawkish settlement construction that has led to international condemnation is going to force a re-think.
The Palestinian Authority’s upgrade to a “non-member state” at the UN General Assembly affords it a more reasonable opportunity to approach the ICC about Israeli moves, but whether the courts will actually do anything about the settlements, especially with the US likely to loudly oppose any ruling that offends Israel, remains to be seen.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Syrian Troops Invade Nusra Front-Held Aleppo, Seize Key District - September 27th, 2016
- Infiltrators Kill 13 Afghan Soldiers in Their Sleep - September 27th, 2016
- Turkey Cheers as Kurdish Forces Withdraw From Syrian City of Manbij - September 26th, 2016
- Clinton, Trump Both Talk Escalation Against ISIS - September 26th, 2016
- Clinton Assures Netanyahu She Would Veto Any UN Actions on Israel - September 26th, 2016