Foreign Ministry Insists 'Terrorists' Responsible for Attack
Russian Foreign Minister Sergey Lavrov issued a statement today condemned the United States for blaming the Assad government for the Tuesday attack on Aleppo University, which killed at least 87 people.
The university was hit by rockets, and the Syrian state media reported that they were anti-aircraft missiles the rebels had fired against aircraft overhead, and that they hit the university after missing their targets.
US reports have said that they will “not rule out” the possibility that the Assad regime “staged” the attacks on the Aleppo University for their own inscrutable reasons. Rebel factions also made a similar claim, but since Aleppo University was under regime control, it is hard to imagine why the regime would up and attack it at random.
Lavrov is ruling that out, saying it is “blasphemous” to insist that Assad would do such a thing. The Russian Foreign Ministry went on to say that it is blaming “terrorists,” though not any specific faction, for the attack.
Another disputed incident has occurred today in the far southern city of Daraa, where a pair of car bombings struck. State media blamed the al-Nusra Front for the attack, while rebels have so far declined to confirm the incident at all.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Yemen: Drone Strikes Start of 'Massive' Operation Against al-Qaeda - April 20th, 2014
- Sen. Corker: We're Going to Lose East Ukraine - April 20th, 2014
- Geneva Deal on Ukraine Not Amounting to Much - April 20th, 2014
- Ukraine Combatants Aim to Bring US, Russia Into Their War - April 20th, 2014
- East Ukraine Rabbi Tries to Calm Hysteria Over Leaflet Hoax - April 20th, 2014