Sectarian tensions in Iraq are likely to grow considerably worse today after the assassination of Ayfan Essawi, an Anbar Province MP from the Sunni Iraqiya bloc. He was killed in a suicide attack against his convoy, just south of Fallujah.
Essawi was reportedly on his way to join the anti-government protests in Anbar Province at the time of the attack. In addition to the MP, four of his bodyguards and two civilians were reported slain.
Assassination attempts against government officials involved in the anti-Maliki protests have grown increasingly common in recent days, with Finance Minister Rafi Essawi (no relation to Ayfan Essawi) narrowly escaping an attempt on his life over the weekend.
Fellow Iraqiya MP Mohammed Khaldi and parliamentary speaker Osama al-Nujaifi of the Sadrist Trend urged government investigation into the security breeches that led to the assassination.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Palestinians Slam Planned US Embassy Move to Jerusalem - February 23rd, 2018
- White House Orders Military Parade for Veterans Day - February 23rd, 2018
- Turkish Army Attacks Afrin Convoy, Kurds Say It Was Full of Aid - February 23rd, 2018
- Nigeria Sends More Troops to Look for Missing Girls - February 23rd, 2018
- Trump Vows 'Largest Ever' North Korea Sanctions, Threatens Ominous 'Phase Two' - February 23rd, 2018