Daraya Sees Heaviest Bombing in Months
Eight children were reported killed today in a series of air strikes against rebel-held Damascus suburbs. Multiple suburbs were hit, with Daraya reportedly seeing the heaviest shelling it has in months.
All told the strikes have killed 45 people in the past 24 hours according to estimates. The rebel-held areas are under attack off and on pretty much constantly, but there was no explanation for this latest escalation in strikes.
Daraya, however, is the most strategically valuable of the Sunni suburbs, not far from both the Interior Ministry and a major air base. Syrian officials have suggested in the past they intend to retake the suburb.
This is in stark contrast to their treatment of other Sunni suburbs, which they have more or less ceded to the rebels as a way to force rebel fighters to commit more of their troops to policing the areas instead of trying to expand deeper into the capital.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Iraqi Shi'ite Militias Claim US Pledge to End Airstrikes on Tikrit - March 30th, 2015
- In Close Vote, Canada Parliament Decides to Extend, Expand ISIS War - March 30th, 2015
- Syrian Military Blames Turkey for al-Qaeda Takeover of Idlib - March 30th, 2015
- Afghan Peace Council: US Drawdown Halt Hurting Peace Process - March 30th, 2015
- Congress Expected to Push Iran Sanctions if Deadline Passes - March 30th, 2015