Eight People Killed in Latest Attacks on North Waziristan
At least eight more people were killed and four others wounded as US drones continued to attack the Pakistani tribal areas. This brings the overall toll to 25 killed in the past 48 hours.
None of today’s victims have been identified beyond the broad label of “suspect.” The first of today’s attacked killed five people in Miramshah, while the second killed three more in Essukhel, just an hour later.
The number of US drone attacks in Pakistan declined somewhat in 2012, with fewer attacks than in 2010 or 2011, and a lower overall death toll. The US seems to be looking to get back to the old levels, however, as multiple attacks have killed 38 people the first week of 2013 already.
Of 2,500-plus people killed since the US drone war began, only a few dozen of the victims have ever been publicly identified, with the vast, vast majority remaining “suspected militants” whose suspicion centers more or less entirely on the fact that they were killed in the first place.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- US Sends Special Forces Troops to Jordan for Iraq Training - March 7th, 2014
- US Sends Destroyer to Black Sea Amid Crimea Tensions - March 7th, 2014
- Russia Warns Sanctions Could Backfire on US, EU - March 7th, 2014
- Conflicting Stories, But No Clashes at Ukraine Base in Crimea - March 7th, 2014
- Ukraine Interim Govt Courts Oligarchs, Neo-Fascists - March 7th, 2014