Eight People Killed in Latest Attacks on North Waziristan
At least eight more people were killed and four others wounded as US drones continued to attack the Pakistani tribal areas. This brings the overall toll to 25 killed in the past 48 hours.
None of today’s victims have been identified beyond the broad label of “suspect.” The first of today’s attacked killed five people in Miramshah, while the second killed three more in Essukhel, just an hour later.
The number of US drone attacks in Pakistan declined somewhat in 2012, with fewer attacks than in 2010 or 2011, and a lower overall death toll. The US seems to be looking to get back to the old levels, however, as multiple attacks have killed 38 people the first week of 2013 already.
Of 2,500-plus people killed since the US drone war began, only a few dozen of the victims have ever been publicly identified, with the vast, vast majority remaining “suspected militants” whose suspicion centers more or less entirely on the fact that they were killed in the first place.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- ISIS Bombs Yemen Army Recruiter, Killing At Least 71 - August 29th, 2016
- Saudi Officials: Rocket Fire From Yemen Killed Two Children in Najran - August 28th, 2016
- Syrian Airstrikes Kill 24 Mourners at Aleppo Funeral - August 28th, 2016
- Taliban Seizes Key Eastern Afghanistan District - August 28th, 2016
- Pentagon: Fighting Between Turkey, Syrian Kurds 'Unacceptable' - August 28th, 2016