Eight People Killed in Latest Attacks on North Waziristan
At least eight more people were killed and four others wounded as US drones continued to attack the Pakistani tribal areas. This brings the overall toll to 25 killed in the past 48 hours.
None of today’s victims have been identified beyond the broad label of “suspect.” The first of today’s attacked killed five people in Miramshah, while the second killed three more in Essukhel, just an hour later.
The number of US drone attacks in Pakistan declined somewhat in 2012, with fewer attacks than in 2010 or 2011, and a lower overall death toll. The US seems to be looking to get back to the old levels, however, as multiple attacks have killed 38 people the first week of 2013 already.
Of 2,500-plus people killed since the US drone war began, only a few dozen of the victims have ever been publicly identified, with the vast, vast majority remaining “suspected militants” whose suspicion centers more or less entirely on the fact that they were killed in the first place.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Turkey Arrests British Reporters, Charging Them as Terrorists - August 31st, 2015
- ISIS Fights Rival Rebels, Nearing Heart of Syrian Capital - August 31st, 2015
- Losing Ground in Senate, GOP Warns Dems Against Filibustering Anti-Iran Bill - August 31st, 2015
- Japan DM Seeks Record Military Budget 'to Counter China' - August 31st, 2015
- Yemen's Houthis Raid Homes of Rivals in Sanaa - August 31st, 2015