Eight People Killed in Latest Attacks on North Waziristan
At least eight more people were killed and four others wounded as US drones continued to attack the Pakistani tribal areas. This brings the overall toll to 25 killed in the past 48 hours.
None of today’s victims have been identified beyond the broad label of “suspect.” The first of today’s attacked killed five people in Miramshah, while the second killed three more in Essukhel, just an hour later.
The number of US drone attacks in Pakistan declined somewhat in 2012, with fewer attacks than in 2010 or 2011, and a lower overall death toll. The US seems to be looking to get back to the old levels, however, as multiple attacks have killed 38 people the first week of 2013 already.
Of 2,500-plus people killed since the US drone war began, only a few dozen of the victims have ever been publicly identified, with the vast, vast majority remaining “suspected militants” whose suspicion centers more or less entirely on the fact that they were killed in the first place.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- ISIS Kills 10 in Suicide Bombing Against Damascus Police - February 9th, 2016
- US Intel Chief: 'Paranoid' Russia Pushing US Into Cold War Spiral - February 9th, 2016
- Iraq Claims Full Victory in Virtually-Destroyed Ramadi - February 9th, 2016
- Angling for NATO Bases, Poland Commits More Troops to Middle East - February 9th, 2016
- Syrian Airstrike Hits MSF-Supported Hospital Near Jordan Border - February 9th, 2016