Officials Say Investigation Underway Into Attacker
According to NATO reports, a man in an Afghan army uniform has shot and killed a NATO soldier today. Details are scant but the incident took place in southern Afghanistan.
The attacker has yet to be publicly identified, but he was reportedly killed in the exchange of fire. Officials say he is under investigation to see if he had insurgent ties or if he was simply another disgruntled soldier.
Insider attacks, also called “green-on-blue” attacks, rose dramatically in 2012, and with this one happening so soon in the new year, there is every reason to believe the trend will continue in 2013.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- US Patrol Ship Fires 'Warning Shots' at Iranian Speedboat - August 25th, 2016
- American University Attacked in Kabul, At Least 15 Slain - August 24th, 2016
- American University Attacked in Kabul, Three Dead - August 24th, 2016
- Turkey's Invasion Into Syria Adds to Growing Strain on US Strategy - August 24th, 2016
- Kurds, Not ISIS, Are Turkey's Real Target in Syria Invasion - August 24th, 2016