According to NATO reports, a man in an Afghan army uniform has shot and killed a NATO soldier today. Details are scant but the incident took place in southern Afghanistan.
The attacker has yet to be publicly identified, but he was reportedly killed in the exchange of fire. Officials say he is under investigation to see if he had insurgent ties or if he was simply another disgruntled soldier.
Insider attacks, also called “green-on-blue” attacks, rose dramatically in 2012, and with this one happening so soon in the new year, there is every reason to believe the trend will continue in 2013.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- US Struggles to Find Destinations for ISIS Detainees in Syria - July 18th, 2018
- Syrian Rebel City of Nawa Surrenders After Intense Airstrikes - July 18th, 2018
- Trump: Russia Doesn't Pose a Threat to US - July 18th, 2018
- Russia Urges UN to Mull Easing North Korea Sanctions Amid Diplomatic Progress - July 18th, 2018
- Israel Approves Jewish Nation-State Law in Narrow Vote - July 18th, 2018