According to NATO reports, a man in an Afghan army uniform has shot and killed a NATO soldier today. Details are scant but the incident took place in southern Afghanistan.
The attacker has yet to be publicly identified, but he was reportedly killed in the exchange of fire. Officials say he is under investigation to see if he had insurgent ties or if he was simply another disgruntled soldier.
Insider attacks, also called “green-on-blue” attacks, rose dramatically in 2012, and with this one happening so soon in the new year, there is every reason to believe the trend will continue in 2013.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Key Iraqi Shi'ite Militia Chief Wants Fighters Placed Under National Army - December 14th, 2017
- US Troops, Syrian Rebels Battle ISIS Near Key Base - December 14th, 2017
- US Will Preposition Jet Fuel in Algeria, Niger to Expand Drone Wars - December 14th, 2017
- US Warplanes Fire Warning Flares at Russian Jets Over Syria - December 14th, 2017
- Iran: US Presentation of Iranian Arms in Yemen Fabricated - December 14th, 2017