Officials Say Investigation Underway Into Attacker
According to NATO reports, a man in an Afghan army uniform has shot and killed a NATO soldier today. Details are scant but the incident took place in southern Afghanistan.
The attacker has yet to be publicly identified, but he was reportedly killed in the exchange of fire. Officials say he is under investigation to see if he had insurgent ties or if he was simply another disgruntled soldier.
Insider attacks, also called “green-on-blue” attacks, rose dramatically in 2012, and with this one happening so soon in the new year, there is every reason to believe the trend will continue in 2013.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Iraqi Kurdish Govt Asks PKK Fighters to Withdraw - August 2nd, 2015
- Turkey Denies Any Civilians Killed in Latest Attacks on Kurds - August 2nd, 2015
- Negotiator: Iranian Parliament Has No Say in Nuclear Deal - August 2nd, 2015
- US-Trained Syrian Rebels Routed by al-Qaeda, Flee Into Kurdish Territory - August 2nd, 2015
- New Afghan Taliban Leader Urges Unity, Vows to Continue Insurgency - August 2nd, 2015