Likely Smuggled From Libya, Officials Believe
Egyptian officials say they have seized six US-made missiles in the Sinai Peninsula, and that they were in the cache of weapons smugglers likely planning to take them into the Gaza Strip.
The Egyptians say they believe the weapons came into the country by way of Libya, which is of course awash in weapons with the NATO installation of the Libyan National Council and the looting of Gadhafi regime warehouses.
The question of how US weapons might’ve come to Libya is a good one though, as the Obama Administration has not admitted to any such transfers, and still bans the sale of weapons to Libya over proliferation concerns.
Human Rights Watch officials speculated that Egypt might’ve made a mistake and that they “probably” had weapons from either France or Italy, both of which have been eager to sell armament to the new Libyan government.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- 50 Killed, Scores Wounded in Afghan Suicide Bombing - November 23rd, 2014
- Afghans Approve Troop Deal, US Already Breaking It - November 23rd, 2014
- 'Jewish State' Bill Advances, Threatens to Break Israel's Coalition - November 23rd, 2014
- Amid Weekend Push, Talks of Extending Iran Nuclear Talks - November 23rd, 2014
- Obama Order Expands Afghan War Powers in 2015 - November 22nd, 2014