Egyptian officials say they have seized six US-made missiles in the Sinai Peninsula, and that they were in the cache of weapons smugglers likely planning to take them into the Gaza Strip.
The Egyptians say they believe the weapons came into the country by way of Libya, which is of course awash in weapons with the NATO installation of the Libyan National Council and the looting of Gadhafi regime warehouses.
The question of how US weapons might’ve come to Libya is a good one though, as the Obama Administration has not admitted to any such transfers, and still bans the sale of weapons to Libya over proliferation concerns.
Human Rights Watch officials speculated that Egypt might’ve made a mistake and that they “probably” had weapons from either France or Italy, both of which have been eager to sell armament to the new Libyan government.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Turkey: Kurdish Banner in Raqqa Proves US Sided With Terrorists - October 20th, 2017
- Many Afghan Troops Run Away While in US to Train - October 20th, 2017
- Spain to Start Catalonia Takeover Saturday - October 20th, 2017
- Niger Deaths Highlight Growing US Involvement in Africa - October 20th, 2017
- Niger Ambush the Result of 'Massive Intelligence Failure' - October 20th, 2017