Egyptian officials say they have seized six US-made missiles in the Sinai Peninsula, and that they were in the cache of weapons smugglers likely planning to take them into the Gaza Strip.
The Egyptians say they believe the weapons came into the country by way of Libya, which is of course awash in weapons with the NATO installation of the Libyan National Council and the looting of Gadhafi regime warehouses.
The question of how US weapons might’ve come to Libya is a good one though, as the Obama Administration has not admitted to any such transfers, and still bans the sale of weapons to Libya over proliferation concerns.
Human Rights Watch officials speculated that Egypt might’ve made a mistake and that they “probably” had weapons from either France or Italy, both of which have been eager to sell armament to the new Libyan government.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Palestinians Slam Planned US Embassy Move to Jerusalem - February 23rd, 2018
- White House Orders Military Parade for Veterans Day - February 23rd, 2018
- Turkish Army Attacks Afrin Convoy, Kurds Say It Was Full of Aid - February 23rd, 2018
- Nigeria Sends More Troops to Look for Missing Girls - February 23rd, 2018
- Trump Vows 'Largest Ever' North Korea Sanctions, Threatens Ominous 'Phase Two' - February 23rd, 2018