Likely Smuggled From Libya, Officials Believe
Egyptian officials say they have seized six US-made missiles in the Sinai Peninsula, and that they were in the cache of weapons smugglers likely planning to take them into the Gaza Strip.
The Egyptians say they believe the weapons came into the country by way of Libya, which is of course awash in weapons with the NATO installation of the Libyan National Council and the looting of Gadhafi regime warehouses.
The question of how US weapons might’ve come to Libya is a good one though, as the Obama Administration has not admitted to any such transfers, and still bans the sale of weapons to Libya over proliferation concerns.
Human Rights Watch officials speculated that Egypt might’ve made a mistake and that they “probably” had weapons from either France or Italy, both of which have been eager to sell armament to the new Libyan government.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- State Dept Approves $1.75 Billion Arms Sale to Saudis - October 1st, 2014
- Philippines Troops Won't Return to Golan - October 1st, 2014
- Intelligence Gaps in US Air War as Targeting Rules Loosened - October 1st, 2014
- Israel Plans 2,600 More Settler Homes in East Jerusalem - October 1st, 2014
- New NATO Chief Open to Russian Rapprochement - October 1st, 2014