Audio Recording Offers 3 kg of Gold for Killing Envoy
In an audio recording released over the weekend, Al-Qaeda in the Arabian Peninsula (AQAP) has offered bounties to anyone who kills US Ambassador Gerald Feierstein and any US soldiers deployed inside Yemen.
The group says the bounties are good for six months, and are three kilograms of gold for Feierstein and $23,000 for any American soldier killed while inside Yemen.
The exact details of the US deployment to Yemen are unclear. The Pentagon admitted to US troops being attacked in Aden in March, the first time they’d even admitted troops were in Yemen at all. Since then special forces have deployed in “advisory” roles.
The US embassy has yet to comment on the bounties, but has repeatedly labeled AQAP as the “most dangerous” al-Qaeda auxiliary in the world.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- FM: Russia Won't Accept US Terms to End Sanctions - October 20th, 2014
- Egypt Denies Plans to Join US War Against ISIS - October 20th, 2014
- Kobani Kurds Thank US for Arms, Insist They're Not Enough - October 20th, 2014
- Riots in East Jerusalem Neighborhood After Settlers Move In - October 20th, 2014
- Turkey to Allow Peshmerga Fighters to Cross Into Kobani - October 20th, 2014