Gen. Shallal Calls Military 'Gangs of Murder and Destruction'
Another military leader as defected to Syria’s growing rebellion, this time Major General Abdulaziz al-Shallal, the head of the nation’s military police, who appeared in a video today, reportedly from Turkey, to announce his decision.
Maj. Gen. Shallal appears in uniform in the statement, and accused the Syrian Army of being a collection of “gangs of murder and destruction.” He also claimed others were planning to defect, but had yet to be able to.
The US State Department praised Shallal’s defection, saying it proved that regime change was “inevitable.” The Free Syrian Army claimed Shallal’s defection required him to cross the border on horseback for some inscrutable reason.
Syrian government officials downplayed the significance of the defection, noting that Shallal was nearing retirement at any rate. As is so often the case, however, the battle will be primarily about international public opinion rather than the practical matter of the war on the ground, as rebels remain focused on convincing NATO to invade and install them outright.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- US Escalates ISIS Strikes, Pentagon Says They Can't Bomb Way to Victory - September 30th, 2014
- White House Presents Failed Yemen Intervention as 'Model' for ISIS War - September 30th, 2014
- Turkey Seeks Parliament Mandate for War in Iraq, Syria - September 30th, 2014
- White House Scoffs at Notion of Congress Voting on ISIS War - September 30th, 2014
- East Syria Economy in Ruins as US Destroys Privately-Owned Refineries - September 30th, 2014