Fears Rebels Will Attack Israel, Jordan Next
In Sunni-dominated nations, the sectarian nature of the Syrian Civil War has meant almost universal endorsement of the Sunni rebels. This is not the case in Jordan, however, where top officials in the Hashemite Kingdom are increasingly disquieted by the Salafist nature of the rebellion.
Officials are publicly warning against continuing to send advanced weapons to the Syrian rebels, saying that the region risks becoming a “black hole that sucks Jihadists from around the world,” and fearing that they won’t stop with Syria.
Indeed, rebel leaders have been openly talking about the expansion of the war beyond Syria, with many hoping to move on to Israel next. Jordanian officials say their nation could also be targeted.
With the GCC arming the rebels for months now, and NATO nations looking to get in on the arms shipments as well, the concern is very real that what may remain in post-war Syria is a bunch of heavily armed rebels with a lot of axes to grind across the region.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Israel Attacks Third UN School in Gaza, Dozens Killed - July 29th, 2014
- Israel Broadens Targets in Gaza War: 1,260 Killed - July 29th, 2014
- Senators Say NSA Bill Falls Short on 'Reform' - July 29th, 2014
- ISIS Executes Hundreds in Tikrit Massacre - July 29th, 2014
- ISIS Video Shows Tikrit Executions, Warns Iraqi Soldiers Face the Same - July 29th, 2014