Fears Rebels Will Attack Israel, Jordan Next
In Sunni-dominated nations, the sectarian nature of the Syrian Civil War has meant almost universal endorsement of the Sunni rebels. This is not the case in Jordan, however, where top officials in the Hashemite Kingdom are increasingly disquieted by the Salafist nature of the rebellion.
Officials are publicly warning against continuing to send advanced weapons to the Syrian rebels, saying that the region risks becoming a “black hole that sucks Jihadists from around the world,” and fearing that they won’t stop with Syria.
Indeed, rebel leaders have been openly talking about the expansion of the war beyond Syria, with many hoping to move on to Israel next. Jordanian officials say their nation could also be targeted.
With the GCC arming the rebels for months now, and NATO nations looking to get in on the arms shipments as well, the concern is very real that what may remain in post-war Syria is a bunch of heavily armed rebels with a lot of axes to grind across the region.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- ISIS Overruns Iraq Base: 40 Troops Killed, 70 Captured - September 22nd, 2014
- Iranian, Saudi FMs Meet as ISIS War Looms Large - September 22nd, 2014
- US Begins Airstrikes Against ISIS Targets in Syria - September 22nd, 2014
- Panic Over Americans Back From ISIS, But Few Details - September 22nd, 2014
- White House: No Estimate on Costs of War on ISIS - September 22nd, 2014