Fears Rebels Will Attack Israel, Jordan Next
In Sunni-dominated nations, the sectarian nature of the Syrian Civil War has meant almost universal endorsement of the Sunni rebels. This is not the case in Jordan, however, where top officials in the Hashemite Kingdom are increasingly disquieted by the Salafist nature of the rebellion.
Officials are publicly warning against continuing to send advanced weapons to the Syrian rebels, saying that the region risks becoming a “black hole that sucks Jihadists from around the world,” and fearing that they won’t stop with Syria.
Indeed, rebel leaders have been openly talking about the expansion of the war beyond Syria, with many hoping to move on to Israel next. Jordanian officials say their nation could also be targeted.
With the GCC arming the rebels for months now, and NATO nations looking to get in on the arms shipments as well, the concern is very real that what may remain in post-war Syria is a bunch of heavily armed rebels with a lot of axes to grind across the region.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- 'Nothing New:' Obama Shrugs Off Netanyahu's Speech - March 3rd, 2015
- US Officials Dismiss Netanyahu's 'Impossible' Iran Deal - March 3rd, 2015
- ISIS Snipers Slow Iraqi Offensive Against Tikrit - March 3rd, 2015
- ISIS: American Suicide Attacker Struck Iraqi Forces Near Samarra - March 3rd, 2015
- Between Casualties and Desertion, Afghan Military Shrinking Fast - March 3rd, 2015