Bomb Detonated While Rebels Were Rigging It
Car bombings causing massive casualties are common enough in the ongoing Syrian Civil War. Today’s incident in Aleppo’s Bustan al-Qaser neighborhood, however, is something entirely different.
That’s because this time, at least according to reports, the unnamed rebel faction rigging the car with explosives accidentally detonated it before it was set up, killing an estimated 40 fighters loyal to the faction.
Rebels have been claiming major gains in Aleppo in recent days and are predicting they will soon take over the city. They have been predicting imminent victory for months, however.
The Syrian Army is disputing some of those claims of lost bases as well, insisting bases that were reported overrun remain either under full military control or are still being disputed in open combat.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- EU Braces for Influx of ISIS Fighters After Mosul Offensive - October 23rd, 2016
- Obama Backs Away From Plans to Further Arm CIA-Backed Rebels in Syria - October 23rd, 2016
- Iraq PM: Thanks but No Thanks on Turkish Help in Mosul - October 23rd, 2016
- US Warns Worst Is Yet to Come in Battle for Mosul - October 23rd, 2016
- Syrian Kurds Fire on Rebel-Held Jarabulus as Turkey Continues to Attack Them - October 23rd, 2016