Bomb Detonated While Rebels Were Rigging It
Car bombings causing massive casualties are common enough in the ongoing Syrian Civil War. Today’s incident in Aleppo’s Bustan al-Qaser neighborhood, however, is something entirely different.
That’s because this time, at least according to reports, the unnamed rebel faction rigging the car with explosives accidentally detonated it before it was set up, killing an estimated 40 fighters loyal to the faction.
Rebels have been claiming major gains in Aleppo in recent days and are predicting they will soon take over the city. They have been predicting imminent victory for months, however.
The Syrian Army is disputing some of those claims of lost bases as well, insisting bases that were reported overrun remain either under full military control or are still being disputed in open combat.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- US-Backed Syrian Opposition Won't Attend US-Backed Peace Talks - March 25th, 2015
- Libyan ISIS Fighting Two Governments at Once - March 25th, 2015
- Iran Talks Aim for 'Understanding' This Week, Final Deal Later - March 25th, 2015
- Hadi Flees Yemen as Houthis Take Base Vacated by US - March 25th, 2015
- Freed POW Sgt. Bowe Bergdahl Charged With Desertion - March 25th, 2015