Second Base Lost to Rebel Offensives This Week
Syrian rebels with the Free Syrian Army’s (FSA) al-Tawheed Brigade have announced that they have fully conquered the Hanano Barracks, a key infantry base and school in the northern city of Aleppo.
The group’s victory came with considerable cost, however, as the Tawheed Brigade’s commander, Col. Youssef al-Jader, was reportedly killed in the Saturday offensive.
It is the second Aleppo base to fall to rebels in the past week, after the Islamist al-Nusra Front captured a base on the outskirts of the city at the start of the week. The loss of the bases has rebels saying they are gaining ground.
Yet the Assad government has been increasingly lax on defending bases it believes are not strategically important, letting the rebels take them over with little struggle in hopes of spreading them thin, while concentrating their forces in the south and near the capital city.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Nearly 200 Killed in Massive ISIS Offensive Against Sinai Peninsula - July 1st, 2015
- ISIS Attacks Tel Abyad, Retaking Part of Key Syrian Border Town From Kurds - June 30th, 2015
- US Trade Bill Demands Europe End Efforts to Boycott or Sanction Israel - June 30th, 2015
- Rocket Explosion Renews Debate Over Ban on Russian Imports - June 30th, 2015
- ISIS Vows to Oust Hamas, Impose Sharia Law in Gaza - June 30th, 2015