Second Base Lost to Rebel Offensives This Week
Syrian rebels with the Free Syrian Army’s (FSA) al-Tawheed Brigade have announced that they have fully conquered the Hanano Barracks, a key infantry base and school in the northern city of Aleppo.
The group’s victory came with considerable cost, however, as the Tawheed Brigade’s commander, Col. Youssef al-Jader, was reportedly killed in the Saturday offensive.
It is the second Aleppo base to fall to rebels in the past week, after the Islamist al-Nusra Front captured a base on the outskirts of the city at the start of the week. The loss of the bases has rebels saying they are gaining ground.
Yet the Assad government has been increasingly lax on defending bases it believes are not strategically important, letting the rebels take them over with little struggle in hopes of spreading them thin, while concentrating their forces in the south and near the capital city.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- US-Israeli Reporter Held by Protesters in East Ukraine - April 22nd, 2014
- 86 Percent of Syria's Chemical Arsenal Destroyed - April 22nd, 2014
- Biden Slams Russia, Says US Will Never Recognize Crimea Annexation - April 22nd, 2014
- Ukraine President Vows New Offensive Against East - April 22nd, 2014
- Ruling Party Politician Found Slain in East Ukraine - April 22nd, 2014