Second Base Lost to Rebel Offensives This Week
Syrian rebels with the Free Syrian Army’s (FSA) al-Tawheed Brigade have announced that they have fully conquered the Hanano Barracks, a key infantry base and school in the northern city of Aleppo.
The group’s victory came with considerable cost, however, as the Tawheed Brigade’s commander, Col. Youssef al-Jader, was reportedly killed in the Saturday offensive.
It is the second Aleppo base to fall to rebels in the past week, after the Islamist al-Nusra Front captured a base on the outskirts of the city at the start of the week. The loss of the bases has rebels saying they are gaining ground.
Yet the Assad government has been increasingly lax on defending bases it believes are not strategically important, letting the rebels take them over with little struggle in hopes of spreading them thin, while concentrating their forces in the south and near the capital city.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Israel Defends Attacking Another UN School Full of Refugees in Gaza - July 30th, 2014
- Israel Attacks Third UN School in Gaza, Dozens Killed - July 29th, 2014
- Israel Broadens Targets in Gaza War: 1,300 Killed - July 29th, 2014
- Senators Say NSA Bill Falls Short on 'Reform' - July 29th, 2014
- ISIS Executes Hundreds in Tikrit Massacre - July 29th, 2014