Deputy FM Says Rebel Victory 'Cannot Be Ruled Out'
A single Russian official, Deputy Foreign Minister Mikhail Bogdanov, mentioned during comments today that the Russian government “cannot rule out” the possibility of the US-backed Syrian rebels conquering the country.
The off-handed comment has exploded into the US media, with State Department officials hyping it as vindication for their ongoing policy of backing the rebels, and spinning the comment as Russia’s government as a whole believing defeat is inevitable.
Which isn’t anything like what Bogdanov actually said, but the story has a mind of its own now, and has led the US and rebel leadership to conclude that they can convince Russia to endorse the forcible ouster of President Assad, even though officials ruled that out just a few days ago.
The move reflects the Obama Administration’s increased determination to push a narrative aimed at justifying growing intervention, with actual evidence taking a back seat when a good story is available.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Report: Deaths of Afghan Women up 54% Over Previous Year - April 27th, 2017
- German Soldier Arrested Over Plan to Carry Out Attack, Blame Refugees - April 27th, 2017
- US State Dept Defends Israeli Anti-Occupation NGOs - April 27th, 2017
- Abbas Cuts Electricity Funding for Gaza Strip - April 27th, 2017
- US Drone Strike Kills Seven in North Waziristan - April 27th, 2017