Deputy FM Says Rebel Victory 'Cannot Be Ruled Out'
A single Russian official, Deputy Foreign Minister Mikhail Bogdanov, mentioned during comments today that the Russian government “cannot rule out” the possibility of the US-backed Syrian rebels conquering the country.
The off-handed comment has exploded into the US media, with State Department officials hyping it as vindication for their ongoing policy of backing the rebels, and spinning the comment as Russia’s government as a whole believing defeat is inevitable.
Which isn’t anything like what Bogdanov actually said, but the story has a mind of its own now, and has led the US and rebel leadership to conclude that they can convince Russia to endorse the forcible ouster of President Assad, even though officials ruled that out just a few days ago.
The move reflects the Obama Administration’s increased determination to push a narrative aimed at justifying growing intervention, with actual evidence taking a back seat when a good story is available.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Shi'ite Militias Quit Tikrit, Citing US Involvement - March 26th, 2015
- Saudis, Allies Plan Massive Invasion of Yemen - March 26th, 2015
- 25 Civilians Killed as Saudi Warplanes Attack Yemeni Capital - March 26th, 2015
- US-Backed Syrian Opposition Won't Attend US-Backed Peace Talks - March 25th, 2015
- Libyan ISIS Fighting Two Governments at Once - March 25th, 2015