Deputy FM Says Rebel Victory 'Cannot Be Ruled Out'
A single Russian official, Deputy Foreign Minister Mikhail Bogdanov, mentioned during comments today that the Russian government “cannot rule out” the possibility of the US-backed Syrian rebels conquering the country.
The off-handed comment has exploded into the US media, with State Department officials hyping it as vindication for their ongoing policy of backing the rebels, and spinning the comment as Russia’s government as a whole believing defeat is inevitable.
Which isn’t anything like what Bogdanov actually said, but the story has a mind of its own now, and has led the US and rebel leadership to conclude that they can convince Russia to endorse the forcible ouster of President Assad, even though officials ruled that out just a few days ago.
The move reflects the Obama Administration’s increased determination to push a narrative aimed at justifying growing intervention, with actual evidence taking a back seat when a good story is available.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Saudis to Behead Over 50, Including Top Shi'ite Cleric, as 'Terrorists' - November 26th, 2015
- Russia Threatens Economic Retaliation Over Turkey Attack - November 26th, 2015
- Cameron Challenged on Claim of 70,000 Moderate Syrian Fighters - November 26th, 2015
- Russia Says 'Wiped Out' Terror Groups Near Downed Plane - November 26th, 2015
- Powers Open to 'Grand Coalition' Against ISIS - November 26th, 2015