Military Terms Nuke-Capable Launch a Success
The Indian government has issued a statement condemning North Korea for a successful long-range rocket test, which put a satellite into orbit. Officials termed it “unwarranted” and a threat to regional stability.
At roughly the same time, India launched their own long-range missile test, firing a nuclear-capable surface to surface Agni-1 ballistic missile off the Odisha coast.
Officials gave no indication as to why the firing was timed so closely to the statement, or indeed any indication that they understood exactly how hypocritical the launch makes them look on the matter.
North Korea withdrew from the nuclear non-proliferation treaty in 2003 and though it has done some nominally successful detonations is not believed to have warheads capable of loading onto their missiles. India, on the other hand, has never been a member of the NPT at all, and has a significant nuclear arsenal. So far the international community has not commented on India’s missile test at all, and appears to busy railing at North Korea.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- North, South Korea Make Tit-for-Tat Moves at Kaesong Industrial Zone - February 11th, 2016
- Russia: US Warplanes Bombed Aleppo Hospitals, Not Russians - February 11th, 2016
- CIA Director: ISIS Has Used Chemical Weapons, Can Make More - February 11th, 2016
- NATO Sends Warships to Try to Keep Refugees Out of Europe - February 11th, 2016
- Saudis Confirm Plans to Send Ground Troops to Syria - February 11th, 2016