European Foreign Policy Chief Catherine Ashton has condemned Israel’s Foreign Minister Avigdor Lieberman for comments yesterday during which he likened the EU’s opposition to settlement expansion to the Holocaust.
Ashton called the comments “offensive and inappropriate.” Israeli opposition figures also faulted Lieberman for the statement, saying it would further drive a wedge between Israel and the EU.
His comments in an interview with Voice of Israel, included accusing the European Union of having a “Holocaust attitude” and in comments to the Yisrael Beiteinu Party he likened EU opposition to the settlements to the attitude in Europe in the late 1930’s.
Several members of Israel’s far-right government have expressed annoyance at the EU’s opposition to expanding settlements deeper into the occupied West Bank, but the rest have stopped short of the sort of comments Lieberman made.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Abbas, Haley Trade Barbs Over Peace Process at UN Security Council - February 20th, 2018
- 29 Killed in Afghanistan Attacks - February 20th, 2018
- Russia Confirms Several Dozen Citizens Killed in US Strike - February 20th, 2018
- Syrian Pro-Govt Forces Enter Afrin, Are Attacked by Turkish Military - February 20th, 2018
- Pentagon Wants Extra Time to Spend Massive Cash Influx - February 20th, 2018