Speaking at the Yisraeli Beiteinu Hanukkah event today, Israeli Foreign Minister Avigdor Lieberman vowed a full-scale invasion and occupation of the Gaza Strip in the event of any rocket fire coming out of the strip in the future.
“Any rocket attack mandates a wide-scale ground invasion of Gaza… Such an operation shouldn’t be restricted by any means, it should see (the IDF) take full control of Gaza,” Lieberman said.
The comments are unlikely to be an expression of actual policy so much as political bluster ahead of the election, as Lieberman went on to rail at opposition figures who he insisted were “siding against Israel” on the question of more wars against the Palestinians, singling out virtually every leader on the left and in the center.
Lieberman also went on to condemn Israeli soldiers who follow the military’s order not to open fire on Palestinian protesters, even if they throw stones during demonstrations, saying it was unacceptable for the soldiers to withdraw from protests instead of attacking the demonstrators.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Car Bombs Hit Mosque in Libya's Benghazi, Killing Dozens - January 23rd, 2018
- Turkey Arrests Scores for Opposing Invasion of Syria - January 23rd, 2018
- Turkey Claims to Have Killed 260 Fighters in Syria's Afrin District - January 23rd, 2018
- Pentagon-Funded Afghan Units Involved in Gross Human Rights Abuses - January 23rd, 2018
- US Claims to Kill 150 ISIS Fighters in East Syria Airstrike - January 23rd, 2018