Speaking at the Yisraeli Beiteinu Hanukkah event today, Israeli Foreign Minister Avigdor Lieberman vowed a full-scale invasion and occupation of the Gaza Strip in the event of any rocket fire coming out of the strip in the future.
“Any rocket attack mandates a wide-scale ground invasion of Gaza… Such an operation shouldn’t be restricted by any means, it should see (the IDF) take full control of Gaza,” Lieberman said.
The comments are unlikely to be an expression of actual policy so much as political bluster ahead of the election, as Lieberman went on to rail at opposition figures who he insisted were “siding against Israel” on the question of more wars against the Palestinians, singling out virtually every leader on the left and in the center.
Lieberman also went on to condemn Israeli soldiers who follow the military’s order not to open fire on Palestinian protesters, even if they throw stones during demonstrations, saying it was unacceptable for the soldiers to withdraw from protests instead of attacking the demonstrators.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- ISIS Car Bombing Kills at Least 20 in Eastern Syria - November 17th, 2017
- Six Children Among 19 Civilians Killed in Shelling Near Damascus - November 17th, 2017
- Report: Lebanese PM Leaves Saudi Arabia for France - November 17th, 2017
- Erdogan: Syria's Afrin District Must Be Cleansed of Kurdish Forces - November 17th, 2017
- Pentagon: ISIS 'Defeated' But US Will Stay in Syria - November 17th, 2017