Speaking at the Yisraeli Beiteinu Hanukkah event today, Israeli Foreign Minister Avigdor Lieberman vowed a full-scale invasion and occupation of the Gaza Strip in the event of any rocket fire coming out of the strip in the future.
“Any rocket attack mandates a wide-scale ground invasion of Gaza… Such an operation shouldn’t be restricted by any means, it should see (the IDF) take full control of Gaza,” Lieberman said.
The comments are unlikely to be an expression of actual policy so much as political bluster ahead of the election, as Lieberman went on to rail at opposition figures who he insisted were “siding against Israel” on the question of more wars against the Palestinians, singling out virtually every leader on the left and in the center.
Lieberman also went on to condemn Israeli soldiers who follow the military’s order not to open fire on Palestinian protesters, even if they throw stones during demonstrations, saying it was unacceptable for the soldiers to withdraw from protests instead of attacking the demonstrators.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Monitors: US Airstrikes Have Killed 2,617 Civilians in Syria - September 24th, 2017
- Spanish Govt Seen Trying to Discredit Catalan Politicians - September 24th, 2017
- Russia, Syria Intensify Airstrikes Against Idlib Province - September 24th, 2017
- Iraq Seeks to Cut Kurdistan Off From World as Referendum Goes Ahead - September 24th, 2017
- Kurdish President Barzani Says Partnership With Iraq Is Over - September 24th, 2017