Two Israelis Slain, One Soldier and One Civilian
The Israeli military continued its attacks on media outlets in the Gaza Strip today, killing three journalists and bombing an Agence-France Presse office in a pair of attacks. Israel has repeatedly targeted media outlets in recent days.
Officials conceded today’s attack, saying they deliberately targeted the journalists and accusing them of having “militant ties.” Since Israel has maintained Gaza’s domestic media are “not legitimate” in the first place, the distinction is unclear.
Of course the overwhelming majority of casualties on both sides have been civilian in nature. Israel’s military leadership has struggled mightily to balance calls to escalate with the reality of very limited numbers of real targets, and yesterday admonished commanders on the ground to not just attack “random houses,” which appears to have been the cause of the death of a family of 12 over the weekend.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Israeli Public's Mood Turns Dark With Increased Troop Deaths - July 21st, 2014
- UN Presses Gaza Ceasefire, But No Sign Anyone Is Listening - July 21st, 2014
- Israel Shells Gaza Hospital, Adding to Humanitarian Crisis - July 21st, 2014
- Iraqi Military Kills Civilians in Air Strike Against Hawija - July 21st, 2014
- State Dept. Annoyed at Press Questioning MH17 Narrative - July 21st, 2014