Two Israelis Slain, One Soldier and One Civilian
The Israeli military continued its attacks on media outlets in the Gaza Strip today, killing three journalists and bombing an Agence-France Presse office in a pair of attacks. Israel has repeatedly targeted media outlets in recent days.
Officials conceded today’s attack, saying they deliberately targeted the journalists and accusing them of having “militant ties.” Since Israel has maintained Gaza’s domestic media are “not legitimate” in the first place, the distinction is unclear.
Of course the overwhelming majority of casualties on both sides have been civilian in nature. Israel’s military leadership has struggled mightily to balance calls to escalate with the reality of very limited numbers of real targets, and yesterday admonished commanders on the ground to not just attack “random houses,” which appears to have been the cause of the death of a family of 12 over the weekend.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Israel to Demolish Palestinian Homes for Settler-Only Road in East Jerusalem - February 20th, 2017
- Top North Korean Officials Still Seek to Go to US for Talks - February 20th, 2017
- New Ceasefire in East Ukraine Holding Successfully - February 20th, 2017
- Turkish Airstrikes Kill 11 Civilians in Central al-Bab - February 20th, 2017
- Commander: US Forces Getting Closer to Front Lines in Iraq - February 20th, 2017