Urges Quartet Meeting on Crisis
Russia’s Ambassador to the United Nations Vitaly Churkin today accused the United States of blocking an effort to pass a resolution at the UN Security Council urging deescalation of the Israeli War in Gaza, saying it was “a little bit of a filibuster attempt.”
Churkin said the US had pushed “quite extensive amendments” to the statement, and many of them seemed to be designed for no other reason than to prevent the statement itself from being issued.
The Obama Administration has repeatedly endorsed the Israeli war, and has regularly blocked UN attempts to pass resolutions even hinting at criticism of Israeli action. Churkin said Russia is calling for meeting of the Quartet to try to tackle the crisis as well.
There have been growing international calls for a ceasefire in the war, citing a large number of civilian deaths in the Gaza Strip. Israeli officials, however, continue to talk up further escalation.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- NSA Paid Encryption Company $10 Million to Create Backdoors for Them - December 20th, 2013
- Pakistan Passes New Resolution Against Drone Strikes - December 20th, 2013
- After Yemen Wedding Strike, US Drone Policy Comes Under New Scrutiny - December 20th, 2013
- A 2013 Disaster: Death Toll More Than Doubles in Iraq - December 20th, 2013
- Iran Sanctions Bill to Skip Committee; Hawks Promise Veto-Proof Majority - December 20th, 2013