More casualties were reported today at the Israeli frontier with Syria, after soldiers in the occupied Golan Heights fired into Syria today, killing three soldiers. Officials say it was a response to “small arms fire.”
Israeli officials conceded that they weren’t really sure whose small arms were firing at them, though the slain people appear to have been Syrian regime forces. Even this appeared to be only vaguely known by Israeli officials, with a military spokesman saying “from what I hear over the Arab media it appears Syrian soldiers were killed.”
It is the third border incident between Israel and Syria over the past few weeks, after stray mortar shells exploded just across the border and Israel attacked Syrian artillery shells. The Syrian rebels have accused Israel of aiding the regime, though this appears unlikely.
The question of whose stray bullets crossed into Israel is a good one, however, as rebels hold most of the villages along the frontier, but the regime has been attempting to retake some in recent days. There was no indication that the bullets hit anything in Israel.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Report: US Airstrike Kills Eight in Eastern Syria - June 21st, 2018
- Japan Halts Missile Attack Drills After Trump-Kim Summit - June 21st, 2018
- North Korea Denuclearization Has Already Started, Says Trump - June 21st, 2018
- Trump: North Korea Has Returned Remains of 200 US War Dead - June 21st, 2018
- Report Warns Taliban's 'Parallel State' Still Rules Large Swathes of Afghanistan - June 21st, 2018