Slain Were Members of Popular Front Faction
Syrian rebel fighters have killed 10 members of the Popular Front for the Liberation of Palestine (PFLP) today in the Yarmouk refugee camp in Damascus, the latest in growing rebel efforts to contest control over the camp from the “pro-Assad” PFLP leadership.
Syrian state media quoted officials from the Foreign Ministry saying they are determined to keep the Palestinians out of the ongoing civil war, while insisting that the Assad government stands “firmly” with the Palestinians.
The Free Syrian Army (FSA) has been determined to pump weapons into the Yarmouk camp in an attempt to spark a rebellion among pro-rebel Palestinians discontented with the PFLP. Fighting has been springing up in the camp over the past few weeks.
The Palestinians are just one of several factions being split by the Syrian Civil War, and as the war continues to escalate, so too will the faction fighting within the refugee camps.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Blowback: Attack on Canadian Parliament Leaves Ottawa Stunned - October 22nd, 2014
- More Troops, More Arms: Iraq Pushes US to Expand ISIS War - October 22nd, 2014
- Report: 25 ISIS Killed in US Airstrikes in Central Iraq - October 22nd, 2014
- Livni, Lapid Combine Blocs to Push Israel Back Into Peace Talks - October 22nd, 2014
- Libyan Parliament Pairs Up With Gen. Hifter: Attack Planned on Tripoli - October 22nd, 2014