Syrian rebel fighters have killed 10 members of the Popular Front for the Liberation of Palestine (PFLP) today in the Yarmouk refugee camp in Damascus, the latest in growing rebel efforts to contest control over the camp from the “pro-Assad” PFLP leadership.
Syrian state media quoted officials from the Foreign Ministry saying they are determined to keep the Palestinians out of the ongoing civil war, while insisting that the Assad government stands “firmly” with the Palestinians.
The Free Syrian Army (FSA) has been determined to pump weapons into the Yarmouk camp in an attempt to spark a rebellion among pro-rebel Palestinians discontented with the PFLP. Fighting has been springing up in the camp over the past few weeks.
The Palestinians are just one of several factions being split by the Syrian Civil War, and as the war continues to escalate, so too will the faction fighting within the refugee camps.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Pentagon Doubts US Attack Destroyed Syria's Chemical Weapons Capacity - April 19th, 2018
- Iraq Launches 'Deadly Strikes' Against ISIS Forces Inside Syria - April 19th, 2018
- UN Team's Security Concerns Keep Inspectors Out of Douma - April 19th, 2018
- North Korea No Longer Demands US Troops Be Removed From South Korea - April 19th, 2018
- South Korea Confirms Discussions on Ending 68-Year Korean War - April 18th, 2018