Syrian rebel fighters have killed 10 members of the Popular Front for the Liberation of Palestine (PFLP) today in the Yarmouk refugee camp in Damascus, the latest in growing rebel efforts to contest control over the camp from the “pro-Assad” PFLP leadership.
Syrian state media quoted officials from the Foreign Ministry saying they are determined to keep the Palestinians out of the ongoing civil war, while insisting that the Assad government stands “firmly” with the Palestinians.
The Free Syrian Army (FSA) has been determined to pump weapons into the Yarmouk camp in an attempt to spark a rebellion among pro-rebel Palestinians discontented with the PFLP. Fighting has been springing up in the camp over the past few weeks.
The Palestinians are just one of several factions being split by the Syrian Civil War, and as the war continues to escalate, so too will the faction fighting within the refugee camps.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Car Bombs Hit Mosque in Libya's Benghazi, Killing Dozens - January 23rd, 2018
- Turkey Arrests Scores for Opposing Invasion of Syria - January 23rd, 2018
- Turkey Claims to Have Killed 260 Fighters in Syria's Afrin District - January 23rd, 2018
- Pentagon-Funded Afghan Units Involved in Gross Human Rights Abuses - January 23rd, 2018
- US Claims to Kill 150 ISIS Fighters in East Syria Airstrike - January 23rd, 2018