Just one day after the Nigerian military condemned Amnesty International for a report criticizing them for torture and extrajudicial killings, the troops are accused of yet another massacre in the key city of Maiduguri.
Locals say the military attacked a neighborhood, then another, gunning down children and young men at random. One of the imams in the area confirmed 11 dead on his street alone, including four of his own sons.
All told four neighborhoods in the town were hit, and residents say the troops ordered men in their teens and early 20’s out into the streets for execution, shooting them on the spot. At least 40 people were slain in the strikes, all shot execution style.
Maiduguri is the hometown of the Boko Haram militant movement, and the military has regularly committed massacre, burning neighborhoods and condemned civilians in the city for “harboring terrorists.” The military is denying today’s massacre, claiming they haven’t heard anything about dozens of executed people being left in the streets.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- US Urges Strict UN Sanctions on North Korea Until Denuclearization Finished - July 20th, 2018
- Merkel: Europe Can't Rely on US to Impose World Order - July 20th, 2018
- Israel, Hamas Reach Another Ceasefire After Five Killed in Friday Clashes - July 20th, 2018
- US Airstrike Killed 14 Civilians in Northern Afghanistan - July 20th, 2018
- US Adds Another $200 Million to Ukraine Military Aid - July 20th, 2018