FSA Throws Weapons at Refugee Camp Hoping to Claim Control
The Syrian Civil War has already brought a number of other factions into its midst: Iraqis, Kurds, Lebanese, etc. But can Palestinians become another faction at war with itself? The rebel Free Syrian Army (FSA) seems to think so.
FSA commanders say they have begun arming “sympathetic Palestinians” in the Yarmouk refugee camp, having them form a group called the Liwa al-Asifah (Storm Brigade) explicitly to pick a fight with the existing Popular Front for the Liberation of Palestine (PFLP), which current holds the camp.
The FSA believes the PFLP is insufficiently on board with the civil war, and has accused its leader, Ahmed Jibril, of “harassing” rebel forces and supporting Assad. One FSA commander termed the PFLP “targets for all the FSA. All of them with no exceptions.”
The long-term goal is for the Storm Brigade to use those weapons to take over the refugee camp, which houses over 100,000 Palestinians, and ensure that the camp supports the rebellion.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- US Estimates 50,000 ISIS Fighters Killed in Just Over Two Years - December 8th, 2016
- US Navy Refuses Pentagon Orders to Budget for Spending Cuts - December 8th, 2016
- ISIS Kills Dozens, Nears Syrian City of Palmyra - December 8th, 2016
- Human Rights Watch: US May Be Complicit in Saudi War Crimes in Yemen - December 8th, 2016
- No Evidence, But Pentagon Tries to Convince Turkey Iran Killed Their Troops - December 8th, 2016