Britain Left Weapons Cache at Since-Looted US Consulate
There have already been plenty of reasons to question the US decision to leave their Bengazi consulate entirely unguarded for weeks after the September 11 attack. Apparently rocket launchers are now among them.
The site, which wasn’t particularly well defended to begin with, was apparently used by the British government to store its weapons, including rocket-propelled grenades, after Britain had decided to abandon the city.
Unsurprisingly the consulate, which was subject to considerable looting over the ensuing weeks, wasn’t such a great storage location, and Britain is now reporting that the weapons are “missing” with no clue where they might have gone.
Britain’s decision to flee the city because of soaring violence had already been a major question for the US State Department, in asking why they decided not only to say, but to refuse to increase security at the consulate.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- US Killing Far More Civilians in Syria Than They'll Admit - August 26th, 2016
- US, Russia Fail to Reach a Deal on Syria - August 26th, 2016
- US Continues to Cut Aid to Pakistan - August 26th, 2016
- PKK Bombs Turkish Police HQ in Southeast, Killing 11 - August 26th, 2016
- As Turkey Enters Syria, US Aims to Keep Them Happy - August 26th, 2016