Attackers Targeted Aqlani at His Home
Attackers assassinated the head of security for the United States Embassy in Yemen today, targeting the man, Qassem Aqlani, in an attack near his home in the capital city of Sanaa.
The attackers were on a single motorcycle, opened fire killing Aqlani and fled the scene. The Yemen government gave no indication they had specific leads, but said the attack “bore the hallmark” of al-Qaeda.
The US has dramatically increased security at the already fortified Yemen embassy over the past month, after a September 11 attack on the consulate in Benghazi killed the US Ambassador to Libya, and another attack hit the Yemen embassy just days later.
Al-Qaeda in the Arabian Peninsula (AQAP), the organization’s Yemen-based auxiliary, has been targeting Yemeni security officials in recent months over the summer offensive against the Abyan Province. As the attacks were done with US military advisers calling some of the shots and US drones providing air support, it would make sense that they would also target US interests in the nation.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Syria Insurgents Destroy Russian Rescue Helicopter With US Missile - November 24th, 2015
- Russia Deploys Air Defenses to Syria-Turkey Border - November 24th, 2015
- NATO Envoys Urge Turkey to Show Restraint on Russian Planes - November 24th, 2015
- US Uses Banking Records to Decide What Syrian Oil Infrastructure to Attack - November 24th, 2015
- Syrian Turkmen Rebels Killed Russian Pilots Parachuting From Downed Plane - November 24th, 2015