Several Syrian Islamist blocs have announced that they are joining forces in the ongoing Syrian Civil War, forming the “Front to Liberate Syria” (FLS) as an overall umbrella group for the Islamist portion of the rebellion.
Technically speaking the factions had already had an “Islamic Front to Liberate Syria,” but in addition to dropping Islamic from their name they are going to coordinate their leadership better, at least that is the goal.
The move comes amid growing pressure from Western and Saudi backers for the various rebel groups to organize and coordinate better, but while the FLS includes some powerful factions, it is missing many others.
Secular groups appear entirely out of the faction’s purview, leaving the Free Syrian Army (FSA) operating separately. Likewise, the group considers the Salafist al-Nusra Front “too extreme” for their tastes, so that group is also on its own.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Taliban Awash in US Arms, Vehicles, Complicate Afghan War - July 25th, 2017
- Blockading States Expand Qatar 'Terror' Blacklist - July 25th, 2017
- US SOCOM Chief Claims 60,000 to 70,000 ISIS Fighters Killed so Far - July 25th, 2017
- Trump Pledges Support for Lebanon's Anti-ISIS Push - July 25th, 2017
- Video Shows Six Minute Gunbattle in Which Jordan Guard Killed US Troops - July 25th, 2017