Errant Shell Damages Granary in Border Town
An errant Syrian shell crossed the border into the Turkish town of Akcakale, causing minor damage to a local granary and leading to retaliatory attacks by the Turkish military, with no indication what their shells actually hit.
It is the fifth day of Turkish officials talking up the possibility of attacking Syria, and much of the region is fearing that the tensions could lead to a wider war, potentially turning Syria’s Civil War into a region-wide conflict.
Today’s shell was the second to hit Akcakale in five days, and the third to hit Turkey overall. The first hit killed five civilians but later strikes don’t appear to have wounded anyone, while Turkey claims “several Syrian soldiers” have been slain in their attacks.
Turkish Prime Minister Recep Tayyip Erdogan has insisted he does not want to see the situation escalate into a war, but parliament has already authorized an invasion of Syria and there seems to be interest in turning Turkey’s recent bellicosity into full-scale actions.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Taliban Kills 50 Police as Afghan Province Nears Collapse - May 30th, 2016
- Heavy Fighting as ISIS Attacks Rebels in North Syria Town of Marea - May 29th, 2016
- US Forces on Frontlines in New Iraqi Kurdish Offensive - May 29th, 2016
- US Warns Iraq Faces Long, Tough Fight in Fallujah - May 29th, 2016
- Report: US, Turkish Strikes Kill 104 ISIS in North Syria - May 29th, 2016