Errant Shell Damages Granary in Border Town
An errant Syrian shell crossed the border into the Turkish town of Akcakale, causing minor damage to a local granary and leading to retaliatory attacks by the Turkish military, with no indication what their shells actually hit.
It is the fifth day of Turkish officials talking up the possibility of attacking Syria, and much of the region is fearing that the tensions could lead to a wider war, potentially turning Syria’s Civil War into a region-wide conflict.
Today’s shell was the second to hit Akcakale in five days, and the third to hit Turkey overall. The first hit killed five civilians but later strikes don’t appear to have wounded anyone, while Turkey claims “several Syrian soldiers” have been slain in their attacks.
Turkish Prime Minister Recep Tayyip Erdogan has insisted he does not want to see the situation escalate into a war, but parliament has already authorized an invasion of Syria and there seems to be interest in turning Turkey’s recent bellicosity into full-scale actions.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Afghan Presidential Election Heading for Run-Off - April 24th, 2014
- US to Russia: End Ukraine Protests or Face Immediate Sanctions - April 24th, 2014
- Ukraine FM: Army 'Ready to Fight Russia' - April 24th, 2014
- Putin Slams Ukraine Attack on Slovyansk, Threatens 'Consequences' - April 24th, 2014
- Ukraine Troops Attack Slovyansk, Killing Five - April 24th, 2014