With “green-on-blue” attacks by Afghan security forces on US troops a growing problem, the Obama Administration is badly in need of a scapegoat. As has so often been the case, they have turned to the Haqqani Network, a North Waziristan-based militant faction.
They provided no evidence to back up their claim, but the administration is claiming that they “suspect” the Haqqanis of being the “driving force” behind insider attacks, the first time they’ve even suggested them having any involvement at all.
Indeed, this is completely the opposite of what Pentagon officials have been saying all along, with several statements claiming only a small portion of the attacks are even militant-based and that most are the function of “stress.”
The Afghan government claimed yesterday that the attacks are “terrorist infiltration” and not simply a problem of disputes with occupation forces. The Taliban have often claimed credit for such attacks as well, but exactly how many is unclear.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- South Korea Turns Off Loudspeakers Aimed at North Korea - April 23rd, 2018
- Saudi Warplanes Attack Wedding Party in NW Yemen, Killing Dozens - April 23rd, 2018
- Senate Panel OKs Pompeo After Rand Paul Flip - April 23rd, 2018
- Iraq Says 36 ISIS Killed in Thursday's Syria Strike - April 22nd, 2018
- Trump Denies Making Too Many Concessions to North Korea - April 22nd, 2018