With “green-on-blue” attacks by Afghan security forces on US troops a growing problem, the Obama Administration is badly in need of a scapegoat. As has so often been the case, they have turned to the Haqqani Network, a North Waziristan-based militant faction.
They provided no evidence to back up their claim, but the administration is claiming that they “suspect” the Haqqanis of being the “driving force” behind insider attacks, the first time they’ve even suggested them having any involvement at all.
Indeed, this is completely the opposite of what Pentagon officials have been saying all along, with several statements claiming only a small portion of the attacks are even militant-based and that most are the function of “stress.”
The Afghan government claimed yesterday that the attacks are “terrorist infiltration” and not simply a problem of disputes with occupation forces. The Taliban have often claimed credit for such attacks as well, but exactly how many is unclear.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Palestinian Authority Threatens to Cut All Gaza Funds - August 21st, 2017
- Report: ISIS Attacks Grew in 2016, Despite Shrinking Territory - August 21st, 2017
- Trump Promises to 'Deal With Pakistan' on Afghan War - August 21st, 2017
- Trump Declares Open-Ended War in Afghanistan - August 21st, 2017
- Trump's Pentagon to Spend Nearly $500 Million on Gitmo Construction - August 21st, 2017