Three Weeks Later: US Investigators Finally Reach Benghazi

Two Reported Arrested in Turkey Linked to Attack

by Jason Ditz, October 04, 2012

Attorney General Eric Holder says he is “satisfied” with the progress of the investigation of last month’s attack on the Benghazi Consulate today, as over three weeks after the attack the first team of investigators from the US have finally reached the site of the attack.

How much they might conceivably learn at the site at this late date remains to be seen, as the compound was left totally unguarded for weeks and has been heavily looted at this point.

Officials say that the lack of anybody on the site to investigate doesn’t mean that there weren’t inquiries being taken into the attack beforehand, and they may have borne fruit as two men were reportedly arrested today in Istanbul, Turkey in connection with the attack.

Exactly how they are linked is entirely unclear, as officials in Turkey would only say that the two Tunisian nations were arrested while trying to use fake passports to enter the country. The State Department refused to comment on the arrests at all.

The only conceivable link from what we know so far is that Ansar al-Sharia Benghazi (ASB), one of the groups accused of possibly having something to do with the attack, was said to be in contact with a related group in Tunisia. That’s hardly conclusive proof, of course, but until more information is released on the arrests we are simply left to speculate.

Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz