Two US Marines who were caught in a viral Internet video urinating on Afghan corpses while fighting in Afghanistan will be court-martialed, charged with “violations of the Uniform Code of Military Justice.”
The charges against Staff Sgt. Joseph W. Chamblin and Staff Sgt. Edward W. Deptola are in addition to administrative punishments made public last month for three other Marines involved in the dehumanizing video.
When the video was uploaded to the Internet early this year and viewed all over the world, it was seen as harming the already failed US mission in Afghanistan. Afghans, both civilians and insurgents, became enraged by the video.
But the criminal charges might be cold comfort for most Afghans. Many at the time expressed outrage, but not surprise, insisting the offense was not out of the ordinary. “Such things happen all the time, and people talk about it but media hardly report them,” said Karimi, a shopkeeper from the southern city of Kandahar at the time.
Last 5 posts by John Glaser
- Contra GOP, Obama Is Not Rolling Back Terror War - May 26th, 2013
- House Committee Prohibits Pentagon Base Closures - May 23rd, 2013
- Code Pink's Medea Benjamin Interrupts Obama Speech - May 23rd, 2013
- Obama Admits US Killed 4 Americans in Drone War - May 22nd, 2013
- CIA to Continue Waging Drone War in Pakistan - May 21st, 2013