US allegations that Iran was smuggling weapons through Iraqi airspace emerged earlier this month, but after the Iraqi government demanded “evidence” and none was provided the whole story seemingly died, at least for awhile.
Sen. John Kerry (D – MA) has now reportedly threatened a full “review” of all US aid to the Iraqi government unless they immediately and unconditionally halt all Iranian access to their airspace.
The allegation now is that not only are cargo aircrafts supposedly sending weapons into Syria from Iran, but that civilian aircraft in general are being stocked full of troops and weapons by Iran and that any plane leaving Iran is automatically suspect.
The US had initially demanded that Iraq force Iran to land all outgoing aircraft in their airports to search them, which Iraq said it had no intention of doing without evidence. The US has not provided evidence for the new allegations either, rather presenting them as assumptions.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Major Clashes in Libyan Capital, at Least 20 Killed, Airport Closed - January 15th, 2018
- Aid Cranes Arrive at Key North Yemen Port of Hodeidah - January 15th, 2018
- Russia FM: Zone for US-Backed Rebels Could Split Syria - January 15th, 2018
- Syrian Army Vow to End US Presence in Syria - January 15th, 2018
- Syrian Rebels Push US to Resume Failed CIA Arms Smuggling Scheme - January 15th, 2018