Claims Civilian Aircraft Actually Smuggling Weapons Across Iraqi Airspace
US allegations that Iran was smuggling weapons through Iraqi airspace emerged earlier this month, but after the Iraqi government demanded “evidence” and none was provided the whole story seemingly died, at least for awhile.
Sen. John Kerry (D – MA) has now reportedly threatened a full “review” of all US aid to the Iraqi government unless they immediately and unconditionally halt all Iranian access to their airspace.
The allegation now is that not only are cargo aircrafts supposedly sending weapons into Syria from Iran, but that civilian aircraft in general are being stocked full of troops and weapons by Iran and that any plane leaving Iran is automatically suspect.
The US had initially demanded that Iraq force Iran to land all outgoing aircraft in their airports to search them, which Iraq said it had no intention of doing without evidence. The US has not provided evidence for the new allegations either, rather presenting them as assumptions.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- EU Braces for Influx of ISIS Fighters After Mosul Offensive - October 23rd, 2016
- Obama Backs Away From Plans to Further Arm CIA-Backed Rebels in Syria - October 23rd, 2016
- Iraq PM: Thanks but No Thanks on Turkish Help in Mosul - October 23rd, 2016
- US Warns Worst Is Yet to Come in Battle for Mosul - October 23rd, 2016
- Syrian Kurds Fire on Rebel-Held Jarabulus as Turkey Continues to Attack Them - October 23rd, 2016