Two NATO Soldiers Also Wounded in Attack
Just hours after the official celebration commemorating the phony transfer of Bagram Prison to Afghan control, the Taliban opened fire on a NATO helicopter at the adjacent Bagram airfield, downing and destroying it, and killing three Afghans on board. Two NATO soldiers were also wounded.
NATO offered few details on the attack, saying that they came under fire from “munitions” and that they had yet to determine exactly what they were attacked with. The Taliban said they used rockets.
The CH-47 Chinook helicopter was apparently not destroyed immediately, but was set on fire by the attack, which eventually rendered the $35 million transport helicopter completely destroyed.
NATO declined to specify the types of injuries suffered by the wounded NATO soldiers, and also refused to say what sort of mission they were on. Some reports have characterized the Afghans killed as “intelligence officials.”
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Afghan Hospital Guard Kills Three US Doctors in Kabul - April 24th, 2014
- British, Dutch Warplanes Chase Incoming Russian Bombers - April 23rd, 2014
- Ukraine Interim Govt: US Promises Backing for Eastern Offensive - April 23rd, 2014
- US Troops Arrive in Poland to 'Confront Russia' - April 23rd, 2014
- Russia Warns of Retaliation as Ukraine Prepares to Attack Protesters - April 23rd, 2014