Denounces Iran as 'Threat to Global Security'
Much to the delight of Israeli hawks, the Canadian government announced today that it is severing all diplomatic ties with Iran, closing its Tehran embassy and expelling every Iranian diplomat from Canada.
Foreign Minister John Baird, detailing the move, condemned Iran as a “threat to global security” and insisted the move was a response to Iran’s hostility toward Israel. Israel has regularly been threatening to attack Iran, though in recent days it is suggested that they are climbing down off that threat.
The move was loudly praised by Israeli officials as well as the ADL, which urged the world to “follow Canada’s lead” in severing ties in the lead up to a potential war, saying the nation’s civilian nuclear program and “anti-Semitic rhetoric” can no longer be tolerated.
It was immediately questioned by former Canadian diplomat John Mundy, who noted that it was a “grave step and it can’t easily be reversed.” He also lamented the precedent it set, as the first time Canada has proactively taken a step to reduce its ability to facilitate peace negotiations.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Finland Report Warns Joining NATO Would Lead to Crisis With Russia - April 29th, 2016
- Airstrikes Hit Four Clinics in Aleppo in Last Two Days - April 29th, 2016
- 15 Killed as Syrian Rebels Shell Aleppo Mosque - April 29th, 2016
- Russia: US Deployment of Troops to Syria a Violation of Sovereignty - April 29th, 2016
- Iran Asks UN Chief to Intervene on US Asset Seizure - April 29th, 2016