Clinton Comments Fuel Accusations of 'Taking Sides'
Chinese Foreign Ministry officials have warned the US to stay out of the ongoing territorial disputes within the South China Sea, saying that they are “not helpful” and accusing Secretary of State Hillary Clinton of taking sides in recent comments.
Which of course Clinton and the rest of the Obama Administration have been doing. The islands and maritime claims are split between China, the Philippines, Vietnam, Indonesia and Taiwan, and the US has endorsed the claims of all the others at the expense of China.
Though the islands are virtually all uninhabited, they are sitting on top of some valuable resources, including oil deposits, leaving each nation scrambling to assert their claims. China has upgraded their claims in the region to a “military garrison.”
Speaking yesterday in Indonesia, Clinton pushed for nations to “move quickly” to resolve the claims in the region. The Philippines in particular are a dicey case for the US, as Philippines officials claim the US is obliged to enforce their claims in the region militarily.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- 12 Chechen Fighters Killed in Central Syria - May 24th, 2013
- Syrian Rebel Unity Talks on Brink of Collapse - May 24th, 2013
- New US Embassy Guards to Cost $1.6 Million Each - May 24th, 2013
- Constant Mortar Fire as Sectarian Violence Continues in North Lebanon - May 24th, 2013
- Obama's Drone Limits Welcomed in Pakistan, If They Pan Out - May 24th, 2013