'Defeat for Justice and Accountability'
UN Special Rapporteur on Human Rights Richard Falk issued a statement today blasting an Israeli court for yesterday’s Rachel Corrie civil suit ruling, saying it represented a “defeat for justice and accountability and a victory for impunity for the Israeli military.”
The lawsuit was brought by the parents of slain activist Rachel Corrie, and sought only $1, a tacit admission of wrongdoing. The court rejected the case, and the judge declared that Corrie brought her death upon herself.
Falk termed the ruling a “sad outcome, above all for the Corrie family but also for the rule of law.” The Corries intend to appeal the case to the Israeli high court, though since the Israeli Defense Ministry has barred most witnesses from the trial the case is seen as more or less a foregone conclusion.
Israel’s government has often condemned Falk, and in 2008 captured him in a Tel Aviv airport and expelled him, declaring him “unwelcome” because of criticism of the Israeli blockade of the Gaza Strip.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Syrian Rebel Unity Talks on Brink of Collapse - May 24th, 2013
- New US Embassy Guards to Cost $1.6 Million Each - May 24th, 2013
- Constant Mortar Fire as Sectarian Violence Continues in North Lebanon - May 24th, 2013
- Obama's Drone Limits Welcomed in Pakistan, If They Pan Out - May 24th, 2013
- Syria: Attacked Israeli Vehicle Was Heading to Rebel Village - May 24th, 2013