Drone Attacked Vehicles on Desert Highway
Yemeni military spokesmen confirmed that a drone strike earlier today killed two people, described as militant suspects, in an attack on a vehicle in the highway between Marib and Hadramawt Provinces.
The Yemeni statement did not identify the nationality of the drone, but the United States is the only nation with drones in the area, and has regularly launched strikes against targets inside Yemen, with the endorsement of the Yemeni regime.
The victims of the attack were not identified, but were called suspected al-Qaeda in the Arabian Peninsula (AQAP). A second strike destroyed a second car on the same highway, and officials said they had no information on any casualties in that attack.
The US does not comment on its drone strikes in Yemen, except on those occasions when they actually have the name of someone killed in the attack. As with attacks in Pakistan, most drone victims are never identified.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Police Provocations Continue, Ferguson Protests Remain Peaceful - August 19th, 2014
- Iraq's New PM, Like Maliki, Defined by Years of Sectarianism - August 19th, 2014
- Neither Obama Nor Congress Eager for Vote on Iraq - August 19th, 2014
- Israeli Airstrikes on Gaza Kill Woman, Two-Year-Old Girl - August 19th, 2014
- Pakistani Military Takes Red Zone as Protests Near Parliament - August 19th, 2014