Speaking in an interview today with The Independent, Syrian Foreign Minister Walid al-Muallem said his government believes that the United States is the driving force in the rebel side of the ongoing Syrian civil war, and that he believes that other nations backing the rebels are just America’s “instruments”
“I tell the Americans: ‘You must read well what you did in Afghanistan and Somalia. I don’t understand your slogan of fighting international terrorism when you are supporting this terrorism in Syria’,” insisted Muallem.
Muallem’s interview was by telephone, and was regularly interrupted by the sound of fighting in the capital of Damascus. He said he was saddened by the ongoing fighting, and that he considers himself a Syrian first and a government minister second.
Though the US has been pushing for international intervention in Syria to install the rebels as the new government, they have largely tried to take a back seat publicly, letting nations like France lead the way on the resolutions.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- White House Assembling a Team for Upcoming North Korea Summit - March 16th, 2018
- US Shifts Toward Harsher Stance on Russia With Sanctions and Condemnation - March 16th, 2018
- Putin Furious After Britain Says He Ordered Attack - March 16th, 2018
- Cluster Bombs Reportedly Dropped on Syria's Eastern Ghouta - March 16th, 2018
- Turkey Attacks Hospital in Syria's Afrin, Killing Nine - March 16th, 2018