US Spurns Afghan Govt. Claim Killings Were 'Accidental'
An Afghan National Army soldier shot and killed two American soldiers in Laghman Province today following a dispute. The Afghan soldier was killed in return fire by other US troops.
Afghan government officials claimed that the incident was an “accident” and said the soldier tripped over his weapon and it went off killing the US soldiers. US officials termed the explanation “total bullsh*t.”
It is the 33rd “green-on-blue” attack so far this year, which has amounted to 42 NATO soldier slain, mostly Americans. The term “green-on-blue” is being deprecated by the Pentagon, which is trying to rebrand them as “insider attacks.”
And yet in this case, there is no indication that the shooter is an infiltrator of any sort into the Afghan military, and the shooting was the result of some sort of argument. Exactly what was being argued about is unclear.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- As Rebels Press Offensive, Ukraine President Vows to Return Calm - January 25th, 2015
- US, India Reach Understanding on Nuclear, Defense Ties - January 25th, 2015
- This Week, US Will Send 1,000 More Ground Troops to Iraq - January 25th, 2015
- Iranian Parliament Vows Retaliation if US Imposes New Sanctions - January 25th, 2015
- Yemen's Houthi Rebels: More Moderate Than US Presents Them - January 25th, 2015