Touts Taliban's New 'Luring and Integration' Department
In his annual Eid al-Fitr letter, Taliban leader Mullah Omar bragged of the growing number of attacks by Afghan forces against NATO troops, saying that it was the result of Taliban infiltration into Afghanistan’s police and army.
“They are able to (safely) enter bases, offices and intelligence centers of the enemy,” Omar said. “Then, they easily carry out decisive and coordinated attacks, inflicting heavy losses on the enemy.”
The number of green-on-blue attacks have been growing precipitously over the past several months, and while the Taliban has taken credit for most of the incidents, in at least some cases the shootings were the result of arguments or other disagreements with occupation forces.
Still, Omar’s comments, touting the Taliban’s new “Luring and Integration” department aimed at increasing its infiltration of Afghan government forces, suggests that the militants are determined to increase the number of such attacks going forward.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Syria Denies US Claims, Says They're Not Targeting Civilians - November 28th, 2014
- Over 200 Killed in Bombing of North Nigeria Mosque - November 28th, 2014
- US Aims to Build Smaller New Iraqi 'Vanguard' Force to Fight ISIS - November 27th, 2014
- Taliban Stages Multiple Attacks Across Afghan Capital - November 27th, 2014
- Arguments, Shortages Slow NATO's 'Rapid Reaction' Force in East Europe - November 27th, 2014