Touts Taliban's New 'Luring and Integration' Department
In his annual Eid al-Fitr letter, Taliban leader Mullah Omar bragged of the growing number of attacks by Afghan forces against NATO troops, saying that it was the result of Taliban infiltration into Afghanistan’s police and army.
“They are able to (safely) enter bases, offices and intelligence centers of the enemy,” Omar said. “Then, they easily carry out decisive and coordinated attacks, inflicting heavy losses on the enemy.”
The number of green-on-blue attacks have been growing precipitously over the past several months, and while the Taliban has taken credit for most of the incidents, in at least some cases the shootings were the result of arguments or other disagreements with occupation forces.
Still, Omar’s comments, touting the Taliban’s new “Luring and Integration” department aimed at increasing its infiltration of Afghan government forces, suggests that the militants are determined to increase the number of such attacks going forward.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- At Least 300 Killed as Central African Republic Violence Spikes - December 6th, 2013
- Karzai Aide: Afghans Won't Bow to US Pressure on Pact - December 6th, 2013
- Hagel: Attacking Iran Still an Option - December 6th, 2013
- NSA Defends Cellphone Tracking: Reagan Authorized It - December 6th, 2013
- Pakistan PM Plans Crackdown on Anti-Drone Protests - December 6th, 2013