Touts Taliban's New 'Luring and Integration' Department
In his annual Eid al-Fitr letter, Taliban leader Mullah Omar bragged of the growing number of attacks by Afghan forces against NATO troops, saying that it was the result of Taliban infiltration into Afghanistan’s police and army.
“They are able to (safely) enter bases, offices and intelligence centers of the enemy,” Omar said. “Then, they easily carry out decisive and coordinated attacks, inflicting heavy losses on the enemy.”
The number of green-on-blue attacks have been growing precipitously over the past several months, and while the Taliban has taken credit for most of the incidents, in at least some cases the shootings were the result of arguments or other disagreements with occupation forces.
Still, Omar’s comments, touting the Taliban’s new “Luring and Integration” department aimed at increasing its infiltration of Afghan government forces, suggests that the militants are determined to increase the number of such attacks going forward.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Gates, Panetta Fault Obama for 'Micromanaging' Wars - November 20th, 2014
- Joint Chiefs Chairman Predicts ISIS War Will Last Four Years - November 19th, 2014
- Iraqi Kurdish President Complains West Not Giving Him Enough Arms - November 19th, 2014
- New Settlements, Checkpoints as Israel Cracks Down on East Jerusalem - November 19th, 2014
- Ukraine Rules Out Direct Negotiations With Rebels to End War - November 19th, 2014