GCC States Urge Citizens to Leave Lebanon Immediately
There has been some on-and-off violence in Lebanon related to the Syrian Civil War before, but today’s announcement by the Meqdad Clan that they had kidnapped some 30 people they suspected of belonging to the Free Syrian Army (FSA).
The vast majority of the captives were Syrians, but the militia also kidnapped a Saudi Arabian and one Turkish citizen as well. The group’s statement threatened more moves against Saudi, Turkish and Qatari citizens.
Saudi Arabia, Qatar, Kuwait and the United Arab Emirates, the members of the GCC, have all issued statements urging their citizens to leave Lebanon immediately, saying that threats against them are getting worse.
The GCC and Turkey have been openly backing the FSA in the civil war, while the Meqdad Clan, one of Lebanon’s most powerful Shi’ite families, supports the Assad regime. As the sectarian war in Syria continues to worsen, it is sure to continue fanning the flames of tension on the other side of the border as well.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Obama's Terror Policy Criticized Amid Claims of 'Progress' - July 2nd, 2015
- Egypt Attacks ISIS Targets in North Sinai, Killing 35 - July 2nd, 2015
- As Egypt Lashes Out at ISIS, Gaza Could Be in Line of Fire - July 2nd, 2015
- Egypt May 'Invite' Israel to Join Sinai Fight Against ISIS - July 2nd, 2015
- Afghan Troops Raid Doctors Without Borders-Run Hospital - July 2nd, 2015