The Jig Is Up, but US Fighting to Keep Details Secret
Poland’s efforts to probe the full details of the CIA-run “black site” hidden on the campus of a northern intelligence academy are still slow going, but there is no real doubt remaining that the previous Polish government conspired to allow the US to operate an illegal torture facility on their territory, and then sought to keep it secret.
The real question is, what is the current Polish government going to do about it. Prosecutors continue to work feverishly to build a case against officials involved in the scandal, former Interior Minister Zbigniew Siemiatkowski is already charged, and plenty more could be coming.
One would think that’s “game over” for the US, which has been caught out in the humiliating scandal, but is still fighting against Polish prosecutors trying to keep the details of their crimes “classified.”
The broad strokes are known. The site was used to “disappear” detainees and to torture them. The US had a special “cage” brought in for some unknown reason. What Polish contractors involved in the facility’s operation knew, when they knew it, and perhaps most importantly what Polish officials were given in return for violating Polish, EU and international law are the big questions still to be revealed.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- US, Turkey Weigh Which Syrian Rebels to Support in Border 'Safe Zone' - July 28th, 2015
- Syrian Military, Kurds Oust ISIS From Hasakeh - July 28th, 2015
- Turkey: Peace With PKK Could 'Restart' if Kurds Disarm - July 28th, 2015
- NATO Endorses Turkey's Strikes on ISIS - July 28th, 2015
- Iraqi Shi'ite Militia Leader: US Not Serious About ISIS Fight - July 28th, 2015