There doesn’t appear to be anything behind it beyond the usual random scare-mongering, but US State Department coordinator Daniel Benjamin has warned today of a possible Hezbollah attack.
“We assess that Hezbollah could attack in Europe or elsewhere at any time,” Benjamin said, in an apparent guess of what might theoretically happen at some point in history.
He went on to say that Hezbollah has “a presence in Europe” and that it might conceivably move against Israel or some other nation for targeting Iran either in Europe or some other place on the planet.
Other than a handful of unproven allegations Hezbollah has shown little interest in operations outside of Lebanon and its immediate vicinity, and has never shown any particular interest in launching attacks inside Europe.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Saudis Demolish Historic Shi'ite Neighborhood, Sparking Unrest - June 27th, 2017
- Turkey, Kurdish Forces Trade Fire in North Syria's Afrin District - June 27th, 2017
- Mattis: US Will Keep Arming Syrian Kurds After Raqqa Falls - June 27th, 2017
- Russia: US Warning to Syria Is Unacceptable - June 27th, 2017
- Saudi Arabia Insists Qatar Demands Are 'Non-Negotiable' - June 27th, 2017