Three US soldiers and an Afghan civilian were killed today when a pair of suicide bombers attacked a foot patrol near the NATO compound in Asadabad, in the Kunar Province. Three civilians were also wounded.
NATO confirmed the attack earlier this morning, but provided no details about the attack or the nationalities of the victims. It was only later that officials confirmed all the slain troops were American.
Several different reports emerged in the wake of the event, with provincial officials claiming nine civilians were slain and others saying that only one bomber was present. The Taliban, which claimed credit for the attack, says there were two men with suicide vests at the site.
Today’s deaths bring the number of US troops killed so far in 2012 to 216. 65 other NATO troops from other nations have also been slain this year.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Syrian Rebels Began Evacuating Golan for North - July 20th, 2018
- Syrian, Russian Warplanes Kill 26 Civilians in Strikes on Southern ISIS Towns - July 20th, 2018
- US Urges Strict UN Sanctions on North Korea Until Denuclearization Finished - July 20th, 2018
- Merkel: Europe Can't Rely on US to Impose World Order - July 20th, 2018
- Israel, Hamas Reach Another Ceasefire After Five Killed in Friday Clashes - July 20th, 2018