Three US soldiers and an Afghan civilian were killed today when a pair of suicide bombers attacked a foot patrol near the NATO compound in Asadabad, in the Kunar Province. Three civilians were also wounded.
NATO confirmed the attack earlier this morning, but provided no details about the attack or the nationalities of the victims. It was only later that officials confirmed all the slain troops were American.
Several different reports emerged in the wake of the event, with provincial officials claiming nine civilians were slain and others saying that only one bomber was present. The Taliban, which claimed credit for the attack, says there were two men with suicide vests at the site.
Today’s deaths bring the number of US troops killed so far in 2012 to 216. 65 other NATO troops from other nations have also been slain this year.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Major Clashes in Libyan Capital, at Least 20 Killed, Airport Closed - January 15th, 2018
- Aid Cranes Arrive at Key North Yemen Port of Hodeidah - January 15th, 2018
- Russia FM: Zone for US-Backed Rebels Could Split Syria - January 15th, 2018
- Syrian Army Vow to End US Presence in Syria - January 15th, 2018
- Syrian Rebels Push US to Resume Failed CIA Arms Smuggling Scheme - January 15th, 2018