Scores Also Wounded in Attack on Funeral
A US drone strike and a suicide bombing against a funeral for a tribal chief have left Yemen with another bloody weekend, with 51 people killed overall and scores of others reported wounded.
The funeral bomber targeted mourners in Jaar, in the contested Abyan Province. The attack killed 46 people, including a pro-government tribal leader and a number of other prominent officials. The attacker disguised himself as a mourner, according to a statement.
Meanwhile, a US drone attacked a vehicle in the Hadramut Province, killing five people inside. All of the victims of the attack were claimed to be members of al-Qaeda in the Arabian Peninsula (AQAP), but none were named.
The attack in Abyan Province will leave the Yemeni military scrambling, as they claimed to have defeated all militants in the province weeks ago. Fighting over the area seems to be far from over, despite the government’s confidence.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Study: ISIS Only Amounts to Half of US Terror Suspects in Recent Years - December 6th, 2016
- Trump: Air Force One Costs Out of Control, Order Should Be Canceled - December 6th, 2016
- IAEA Confirms Iran Exported Excess Heavy Water - December 6th, 2016
- Trump to End Regime Changes, Focus on Fighting ISIS - December 6th, 2016
- ISIS Shifts Defenses to East Mosul as More Iraqi Forces Arrive - December 6th, 2016