Scores Also Wounded in Attack on Funeral
A US drone strike and a suicide bombing against a funeral for a tribal chief have left Yemen with another bloody weekend, with 51 people killed overall and scores of others reported wounded.
The funeral bomber targeted mourners in Jaar, in the contested Abyan Province. The attack killed 46 people, including a pro-government tribal leader and a number of other prominent officials. The attacker disguised himself as a mourner, according to a statement.
Meanwhile, a US drone attacked a vehicle in the Hadramut Province, killing five people inside. All of the victims of the attack were claimed to be members of al-Qaeda in the Arabian Peninsula (AQAP), but none were named.
The attack in Abyan Province will leave the Yemeni military scrambling, as they claimed to have defeated all militants in the province weeks ago. Fighting over the area seems to be far from over, despite the government’s confidence.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Locals Find 13 Bullet-Riddled Bodies of Pakistani Army Detainees - March 15th, 2015
- Netanyahu Tried to Block Mossad Briefing US Senate on Iran - March 15th, 2015
- Senate Dems Prepared to Defy Obama, Oppose Iran Deal - March 15th, 2015
- Former Hostage: ISIS Built Gitmo-Style Prison - March 15th, 2015
- Kerry Says Willing to Negotiate With Assad - March 15th, 2015