Overnight Attacks Targeted Govt Compounds
Taliban forces have launched a series of attacks overnight, hitting dozens of government buildings across the Kunar Province in an apparent “show of force” that sparked hours of fighting with security forces.
The attacks took place from 1 am to 8 am, when all of the compounds were closed for the night, and analysts are speculating this was done by the Taliban to limit the risk of civilians being caught up in the crossfire.
Taliban officials have repeatedly admonished their fighters to limit civilian casualties over the past several years, expressing concern that the high civilian death tolls were harming their popularity with locals in several provinces.
Tonight’s attacks appear to have had extremely limited death tolls, with preliminary reports saying only four people were killed, including one off-duty Afghan soldier. Eight Taliban were also reported slain.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Tillerson: Sanctions on Russia Will Remain 'Until Crimea Is Returned' - April 24th, 2017
- US Airstrike Kills Family of Eight Fleeing Syria Fighting - April 24th, 2017
- 10 Off-Duty Iraqi Soldiers Killed in Anbar Ambush - April 24th, 2017
- US, Philippines Cancel War Games - April 24th, 2017
- UN: Torture by Government 'Widespread' in Afghanistan - April 24th, 2017