Overnight Attacks Targeted Govt Compounds
Taliban forces have launched a series of attacks overnight, hitting dozens of government buildings across the Kunar Province in an apparent “show of force” that sparked hours of fighting with security forces.
The attacks took place from 1 am to 8 am, when all of the compounds were closed for the night, and analysts are speculating this was done by the Taliban to limit the risk of civilians being caught up in the crossfire.
Taliban officials have repeatedly admonished their fighters to limit civilian casualties over the past several years, expressing concern that the high civilian death tolls were harming their popularity with locals in several provinces.
Tonight’s attacks appear to have had extremely limited death tolls, with preliminary reports saying only four people were killed, including one off-duty Afghan soldier. Eight Taliban were also reported slain.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- US Escalates ISIS Strikes, Pentagon Says They Can't Bomb Way to Victory - September 30th, 2014
- White House Presents Failed Yemen Intervention as 'Model' for ISIS War - September 30th, 2014
- Turkey Seeks Parliament Mandate for War in Iraq, Syria - September 30th, 2014
- White House Scoffs at Notion of Congress Voting on ISIS War - September 30th, 2014
- East Syria Economy in Ruins as US Destroys Privately-Owned Refineries - September 30th, 2014