Overnight Attacks Targeted Govt Compounds
Taliban forces have launched a series of attacks overnight, hitting dozens of government buildings across the Kunar Province in an apparent “show of force” that sparked hours of fighting with security forces.
The attacks took place from 1 am to 8 am, when all of the compounds were closed for the night, and analysts are speculating this was done by the Taliban to limit the risk of civilians being caught up in the crossfire.
Taliban officials have repeatedly admonished their fighters to limit civilian casualties over the past several years, expressing concern that the high civilian death tolls were harming their popularity with locals in several provinces.
Tonight’s attacks appear to have had extremely limited death tolls, with preliminary reports saying only four people were killed, including one off-duty Afghan soldier. Eight Taliban were also reported slain.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- ISIS Retakes Key North Syrian Town From Kurdish Forces - July 6th, 2015
- West Rejects Iran's Calls to End Arms Embargo as Part of Deal - July 6th, 2015
- Afghan Islamist Party Endorses ISIS in Fight Against Taliban - July 6th, 2015
- Al-Qaeda Kills 25 Syrian Troops in Aleppo Suicide Bombing - July 6th, 2015
- US Continues Involvement Despite Concern Over Saudi War Crimes in Yemen - July 6th, 2015