Syria FM: Turkey Backing Jihadists in Attacks
The ongoing Turkish threat to invade Syria, and particularly to attack Syrian Kurdistan, is once again fueling considerable tension between the two nations, as the Turkish Army is staging major tank exercises just north of the border, punctuating those threats.
Turkish officials have repeatedly claimed the right to “hot pursuit” of Kurdish militants into Syria in recent weeks, which would bring them even more directly into the ongoing Syrian Civil War.
The Syrian Foreign Ministry has issued a statement slamming Turkish interference in the region, and has accused them of opening up the border to jihadists and supporting them in attacks against the Assad regime.
Turkey’s potential invasion threatens to turn Syria’s civil war into a region-wide conflict, with Iran issuing warnings that they would be obliged to defend Syria under their mutual defense treaty. Though for Turkey the whole of the Syrian issue is almost entirely about the Kurdish region it seems clear it won’t end there.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Results of US MOAB Strike in Afghanistan Remain Unknown - April 23rd, 2017
- Taliban Attack on North Afghanistan Army Base Kills At Least 163 - April 23rd, 2017
- Mattis: US to Increase Support for Saudis in Yemen - April 23rd, 2017
- Israel Attacks Syrian Army Base, Killing Three - April 23rd, 2017
- Al-Qaeda Leader: Syrian Jihadists Should Wage 'Patient' Guerilla War - April 23rd, 2017