With very little in the way of issues being talked about so far in the presidential campaign, President Barack Obama and former Governor Mitt Romney seem to be centering their foreign policy debate on who can more successfully suck up to Israel.
So with Mitt Romney just one day away from a very high-profile visit to Israel, President Obama’s heavily publicized signing of a new bill promising more funding for Israel is taking on a political feel.
Israeli officials were even quoted in their own press yesterday as saying that the White House had timed the signing explicitly to “counterweight” Romney’s visit. Surrounded by US Jewish leaders, Obama promised at the signing an “unshakeable commitment” to Israel.
Romney will make several visits to Israeli leaders while in the country. Shortly thereafter, Secretary of Defense Leon Panetta will visit Israel as well to discuss “tensions” in Syria.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- UAE Demands 'Unconditional' Rebel Pullout From Yemen Port - June 18th, 2018
- Trump Orders Establishment of Space Force, Vows to Dominate Space - June 18th, 2018
- Pentagon Goes on Cyberwar Offensive, Raising Risk of Conflict - June 18th, 2018
- 'Israeli' Airstrikes Hit East Syria Military Site, Scores Killed - June 18th, 2018
- Airstrikes Hit East Syria Military Site, 52 Killed - June 18th, 2018