Did Signing Steal Mitt's Thunder in Courting Israeli Support
With very little in the way of issues being talked about so far in the presidential campaign, President Barack Obama and former Governor Mitt Romney seem to be centering their foreign policy debate on who can more successfully suck up to Israel.
So with Mitt Romney just one day away from a very high-profile visit to Israel, President Obama’s heavily publicized signing of a new bill promising more funding for Israel is taking on a political feel.
Israeli officials were even quoted in their own press yesterday as saying that the White House had timed the signing explicitly to “counterweight” Romney’s visit. Surrounded by US Jewish leaders, Obama promised at the signing an “unshakeable commitment” to Israel.
Romney will make several visits to Israeli leaders while in the country. Shortly thereafter, Secretary of Defense Leon Panetta will visit Israel as well to discuss “tensions” in Syria.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Dispute With Iraqi Kurds After Canadian Soldier Killed in 'Friendly Fire' - March 8th, 2015
- Without US Backing, Iraqi Troops Near Tikrit - March 8th, 2015
- Five Held, Two Charged in Murder of Russian Opposition Figure - March 8th, 2015
- Obama Touts Iran Progress, Also Threatens to Walk Away From Talks - March 8th, 2015
- French PM: ISIS Could Have 10,000 Europeans by Year's End - March 8th, 2015