Did Signing Steal Mitt's Thunder in Courting Israeli Support
With very little in the way of issues being talked about so far in the presidential campaign, President Barack Obama and former Governor Mitt Romney seem to be centering their foreign policy debate on who can more successfully suck up to Israel.
So with Mitt Romney just one day away from a very high-profile visit to Israel, President Obama’s heavily publicized signing of a new bill promising more funding for Israel is taking on a political feel.
Israeli officials were even quoted in their own press yesterday as saying that the White House had timed the signing explicitly to “counterweight” Romney’s visit. Surrounded by US Jewish leaders, Obama promised at the signing an “unshakeable commitment” to Israel.
Romney will make several visits to Israeli leaders while in the country. Shortly thereafter, Secretary of Defense Leon Panetta will visit Israel as well to discuss “tensions” in Syria.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- US Killing Far More Civilians in Syria Than They'll Admit - August 26th, 2016
- US, Russia Fail to Reach a Deal on Syria - August 26th, 2016
- US Continues to Cut Aid to Pakistan - August 26th, 2016
- PKK Bombs Turkish Police HQ in Southeast, Killing 11 - August 26th, 2016
- As Turkey Enters Syria, US Aims to Keep Them Happy - August 26th, 2016