Did Signing Steal Mitt's Thunder in Courting Israeli Support
With very little in the way of issues being talked about so far in the presidential campaign, President Barack Obama and former Governor Mitt Romney seem to be centering their foreign policy debate on who can more successfully suck up to Israel.
So with Mitt Romney just one day away from a very high-profile visit to Israel, President Obama’s heavily publicized signing of a new bill promising more funding for Israel is taking on a political feel.
Israeli officials were even quoted in their own press yesterday as saying that the White House had timed the signing explicitly to “counterweight” Romney’s visit. Surrounded by US Jewish leaders, Obama promised at the signing an “unshakeable commitment” to Israel.
Romney will make several visits to Israeli leaders while in the country. Shortly thereafter, Secretary of Defense Leon Panetta will visit Israel as well to discuss “tensions” in Syria.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Blowback: Attack on Canadian Parliament Leaves Ottawa Stunned - October 22nd, 2014
- More Troops, More Arms: Iraq Pushes US to Expand ISIS War - October 22nd, 2014
- Report: 25 ISIS Killed in US Airstrikes in Central Iraq - October 22nd, 2014
- Livni, Lapid Combine Blocs to Push Israel Back Into Peace Talks - October 22nd, 2014
- Libyan Parliament Pairs Up With Gen. Hifter: Attack Planned on Tripoli - October 22nd, 2014