Fighting Centers on Rebel-Held Suburbs
Heavy fighting is being reported in southern Damascus today, with rebel factions claiming that it is the result of the regime trying to oust them from suburbs which rebel factions have held for weeks.
Unconfirmed reports have called the fighting the “most intense yet,” but so far only five people have been reported killed and with no independent press on the ground, exactly what is happening at any given time is unclear.
The fog of war has made a number of the stories of major battles and “massacres” in Syria somewhat malleable, and in many cases the high profile claims by rebels turn out to be entirely made up.
The Red Cross says that the fighting nationwide now amounts to an official “civil war,” meaning combatants are subject to the Geneva Conventions. Exactly what this will amount to remains to be seen, as both sides have accused to other of war crimes constantly.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- FBI Creates South Florida Sting Involving Fake Bomb - May 2nd, 2016
- 11 PKK Fighters Killed in Southeastern Turkey - May 2nd, 2016
- US Tells Pakistan They Can Have F-16s If They Pay for Them - May 2nd, 2016
- US Struggles to Square 'Non-Combat' in Afghanistan With Hospital Bombing - May 2nd, 2016
- Pro-Saudi Yemenis Withdraw From Peace Talks, Claiming 'Violations' - May 2nd, 2016