Biden Also Warned Escalation Wasn't Viable
Newly leaked memos related to the 2009 escalation of the war in Afghanistan have put President Obama’s decision in an even worse light, with the revelation that Vice President Joe Biden penned a memo warning him that the plan wasn’t “viable.” Even more shocking is the revelation that President Obama knew of a CIA assessment that warned against the surge, and “purposely did not read it” before approving the massive escalation.
The new information is included in the upcoming book Little America by Rajiv Chandrasekaran. The Associated Press got an advanced copy of the book and revealed the new information.
Biden’s memo centered on the idea that, while confident that more troops would be able to chase insurgents from villages, the Afghan government was still not credible, nor able to actual secure any of those “gains.” He recommended a smaller escalation.
In practice even Biden’s assessment was a bit rosy. The surge dramatically increased the death toll in Afghanistan, but here in summer 2012, all of the same problems present in summer 2009 remain, and perhaps have worsened in some ways. Though officials are publicly claiming “progress” the administration has signed a pact with Afghan President Hamid Karzai to keep troops on the ground in Afghanistan through 2024.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- ISIS Retakes Key North Syrian Town From Kurdish Forces - July 6th, 2015
- West Rejects Iran's Calls to End Arms Embargo as Part of Deal - July 6th, 2015
- Afghan Islamist Party Endorses ISIS in Fight Against Taliban - July 6th, 2015
- Al-Qaeda Kills 25 Syrian Troops in Aleppo Suicide Bombing - July 6th, 2015
- US Continues Involvement Despite Concern Over Saudi War Crimes in Yemen - July 6th, 2015