The USS Ponce, an amphibious transport ship newly refitted as a “floating base” for US special forces to launch attacks, is heading through the Suez Canal on Friday on its way into the Persian Gulf.
The Pentagon reported the warship was to be used for “support missions in areas where ground based access is not available,” and while it is being presented as a hedge against a hypothetical mining effort by Iran it could conceivably be used to launch attacks from offshore anywhere in the region.
CENTCOM has been keen to see the USS Ponce deployed to the region, saying that the ship is uniquely suited to operating in the region, where the US doesn’t necessarily have a base in every single country from which to operate.
The ship won’t actually have any combat forces on board when it arrives in Bahrain, expected to be about two weeks from now. Officials have not said when the combat troops will be deployed.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Trump: US May Have No Choice But to Totally Destroy North Korea - September 19th, 2017
- US Establishes First Permanent Military Base in Israel - September 18th, 2017
- Trump Wants Massive Military Parade in DC on July 4 - September 18th, 2017
- Senate Backs Bill to Pump $700 Billion into Military - September 18th, 2017
- Mattis Says Military Options Exist Against North Korea - September 18th, 2017