Ship Carried Repaired Helicopters, Air Defense Missiles
Last week, the US revealed a shipment of helicopters heading from Russia to Syria then, with egg on their face, admitted that the helicopters weren’t new purchases but were rather old Syrian helicopters which had simply been repaired in Russia.
The admission came Thursday, but that apparently wasn’t the end of it, as rumors continued that the British government apparently spent the weekend mulling various actions against the ship, with rumors that they were going to stop the ship by way of insurance cancellation.
Apparently this was an extremely sanitized version of the events, however, and officials are now revealing that during the weekend a high-level series of meetings were conducted raising a number of possibilities, including a military assault on the ship aiming at its capture.
Officials say that “all options” were considered against the ship, which carried the three repaired helicopters as well as some air defense missiles aimed at making a possible NATO attack on Syria less convenient. The revelation suggests that NATO hostility toward Syria could very quickly escalate into overt military action against Russia.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Israel 'Alarmed' by al-Qaeda Presence on Syria Border - September 2nd, 2014
- Boko Haram Attacks, Nigeria Friendly Fire Kills Scores - September 2nd, 2014
- UN Negotiating With al-Qaeda on Release of Fiji Troops - September 2nd, 2014
- More US Troops Headed to Iraq; Senate Bill Would Expand War to Syria - September 2nd, 2014
- Afghan Army's Extrajudicial Killings Could Force End to US Aid - September 2nd, 2014